Chapter 28: Waves

Heather fixed her eyes on me, eagerly waiting for an answer. 

"I'm not sure," I said.

"What do you mean? If you saw something, you have to tell me; my leadership depends on that." Nerves were escalating, and I wanted to disappear.

"I... I saw..." I looked at Heather, wanting to find some kind of confirmation—something that told me that telling the truth was the right move.

She looked tired, but her eyes were shimmering as always. Her gaze conveyed many things—nerves, curiosity, expectation, fear... but somehow, I didn't find in them the security I needed so deeply at that moment.

"I saw a shadow coming out from the electric tower," I finally said, and right after that, I felt a painful twinge in my heart that spread to my entire chest.

"Did you see any details of the person?" Heather asked, interested.

"No, nothing; it was very dark," I explained.

"Are you sure you don't remember anything else?" Heather insisted.

"I'm sure," I replied.

"This isn't going to help much," she said, her eyes fixed on the pool. We lingered in silence for a moment, and Heather shifted her feet, gently brushing them against mine beneath the water. I responded with a playful touch, and in that fleeting moment, a timid smile graced her face.

Heather moved her hand onto mine, and I held her gently. She then laid her head on my shoulder, closing her eyes. A few wavy strands of her hair fell around my shoulder, and I caught the scent of her shampoo—a mix of fruits with a distinct note of blueberry.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her eyes remaining closed. I stayed silent, gently stroking her hand, and she continued.

"You've been so good to me since the beginning, and I've been..." Her voice trailed off, and she lifted her head. I looked at her, waiting for the rest of the sentence.

"Not at the same height..." She inhaled deeply. "I really appreciate you, Grace; you're like the person I'd like to be—so kind, so caring, and so honest." The weight of that last word hit my stomach.

"Despite being a bit distant these days, I want you to know that I don't want to lose you. You are the best person I've met in my life." Heather squeezed my hand as if she wanted to convey that desire through her grip.

I looked at our intertwined hands and then back at her. She was crazily beautiful.

"And I've been thinking a lot... and... I'd like to help you find your brother." My eyes widened in surprise. I hadn't expected that at all.

"I... I don't know what to say..." I mumbled.

Heather smiled and then leaned on me, sealing her lips with mine in a soft and longing kiss. I wrapped my hands around her waist, feeling the dampness of her swimsuit against my fingertips and the warmth of her skin. Her honeyed jasmine scent invaded my senses.

As we kissed, I felt my entire body recalling her and my mind was quickly flooded with all the beautiful moments I had shared with Heather in my arms. I missed her—my entire being missed her. Yet, deep down, I knew that heavy burden made up of my lies still lingered, patiently waiting for the moment I could no longer bear its weight.

I pulled away from the kiss, and Heather looked at me with concern.

"Are you okay?" she asked, gently brushing my hair away from my face.

"Yes, sorry. It's just that I have a lot on my mind," I explained.

"I know something that might help," she said with a playful smile. I looked at her expectantly, and in the blink of an eye, she jumped into the water. Splashes reached me.