soul mates

Buck is reading chris a book about two penguins and they are soulmates
------------------------------------------------------------
It was a normal night. On Fridays buck always comes over to the diaz house for games and pizza.

At the end of the day eddie goes to do the dishes while buck tells chris a story.

"Far far into the Atlantic there were two penguins." Buck started while showing chris the photos.

"One penguin knew he was destined to be with the other so he finds the shiniest and brings it to the other penguin." Buck continues and eddie points at it.

"It is shinny" chris says and buck nods before putting his finger to his lips as a Shh sign.

Chris giggled but nodded and became quite so buck could continue

"When the other penguin took the rock it made them soul mates and they would stay together for the rest of their lives" Buck says and chris looks interested by this.

"What is a soulmate?" Chris asks and buck hums thinking for a few minutes.

"Uh well it's like a best friend but more. It's the one person who knows you better then anyone else. Someone who makes you a better person." Buck says and then shakes his head.

"Actually they don't make you a better person you do that yourself because they inspire you" Buck says and his mind goes to eddie as he says it.

Then chris asks something buck wasn't expecting to hear from him.

"Does that mean you and dad are soul mates?" Chris says as if it's obvious but buck chokes on his tongue.

"What makes you think me and your dad are soul mates?" Buck asks and chris smiles at him

"Becsuse your bestfriends but you act like more." Chris says so obviously and buck feels shocked.

This kid had always been so observant but he didn't realized it was that obvious.

"Well I hope we are but I don't think your dad feels the same way." Buck says and chris looks confused.

"Why wouldn't dad feel the same?" Chris asks and buck smiles softly.

"Well there is a romantic aspect to being soulmates and I don't think your dad feels thst way about me" Buck explains and chris let's out a huff

"Well dad has to because I want you to be with dad not ms.flores" chris says shoking buck.

Little did either of them know but eddie was hiding behind a wall not far so he heard them talking.

Eddie was suprised to hear buck say he loved him like that and even more when his son said he wanted buck to be with his dad not ana.

Eddie had thought he was doing right by chris but now he realized he was only trying because he wanted his parents to except him but he has to be better. For chris and himself so he swore he was going to ask buck out once chris was asleep.

He knocked on the door acting as it he didn't hear. The deer in headlights look the two blondes gave him was funny.

"What are you two reading?" Eddie asks and chris explains the story to him.

"You and buck are soul mates right?" Chris asks at the end and eddie hums as if thinking

"Of course we are" eddie says confidently and saw the way bucks eyes widened.

Chris cheered at this "i told you buck" he says and finally closed his eyes

Chris was blissfully unaware of just how much tension that question had behind it and how important Eddie's response meant.

The two adults would talk later and eddie knew it would all be ok in the end but for now they enjoy holding chrus together as he falls asleep.