adoption papers

Two weeks before Christmas Christopher Diaz came to his father with a simple question.

"What would we get Buck for Christmas?"

"What?" The question had interrupted the soccer match Eddie was watching

"What would we get Buck for Christmas?"

All Eddie could do at that moment was blink, since it was a really good question that he hadn´t thought about before.

In the past 3 years, all they ever gave Buck was food made by Abuela and a few of Christopher's drawings. He never complained or mentioned anything about those presents not being enough. But thinking about it now, Eddie knew he had been a poor friend.

Buck has made sure to make every Christmas special for the Diaz family one way or another after Shannon. Eddie never questioned why, but knowing Buck, it has something to do with how the holidays were in the Buckley household.

That raised the alarms in Eddie's brain, Buck probably didn't enjoy the Holidays but wanted to make it the best time ever for the people he loved. Buck deserved better, Buck deserved the world.

"We need to get a really good Christmas gift for Buck"  insisted Chis

"Okay, well, what does he like?"

"Me."

The answer was so simple that left Eddie speechless for a second.

"True, but what else does he like?"

"I don't know. What's wrong with adoption papers?"

If Eddie had been drinking anything it was sure he would choke on it.

"Chris, mijo, we can't give Buck adoption papers just like that. He probably would sign them without thinking and he would be trapped with us. What would happen if he got married to someone else? We cannot put Buck in that position."

"Then you should propose to him, so he doesn't get married to someone else. He won't be trapped and he will have a family to love him."

The logic in his child's plans was so tempting, that just for a moment, Eddie considered following Chris's plans.

"We can´t do that, I can't. He doesn't love me like that."

"He does"

"He doesn't"

Christopher looked at him unsurprised by his father's denial. Without a word, the kid took his father's phone, and a few clicks after the calling tone was sounding in the speaker.

"Mijo, who are you calling?"

"Hello?"  Bobby's voice interrupted the question.

"Bobby?"

"Eddie? Do you need something?"

"Bobby!, can you convince dad that Buck loves him?"

"Hey Chris! Am I correct in assuming that the one who called was Christopher?"

"Yeah, sorry, I promise he won't be doing that anymore" Eddie was going to ground Chris after this, a week with no video games sounded good.