proud

One day after buck has dinner with his parents he goes to Bobby's. Bobby and athena prove he matters
------------------------------------------------------------

Bucks parents come to town. Maddie just had jee and they were coming to meet their grand daughter.

Maddie had talked buck into coming. He reluctantly agreed because he loved his niece and wanted to see her.

The day of their dinner everything seemed to be going fine. Then his parents brought out this box. It was wooden and beautiful and had maddies name on it.

"Oh wow what is this?" Maddie asks suprised

"It's your baby box." Their mother says and Maddie opens it. She starts looking through it

Buck knows he shouldn't but he has to know. Did they truly not love him enough to even keep any of his baby things?

"Where's mine?" He tries to ask light hearted and not let his nervousness show.

His parents get this guilty look on their faces and he knows he was right. His heart sink and he looks down.

"I don't have one" He says and Maddie closes it. She puts it away and they move on.

Buck stops talking as much and certainly isn't smiling anymore. They are eating and they somehow got to the topic of bucks most recent injury.

"Honestly firefighter? What were you thinking? That is too dangerous of a job" his father says and he scoffs.

"Most people would be proud of their son for being someone who run into the danger to help others" he says and Maddie frowns.

"If you ever did anything to make me proud of you maybe I would be but your nothing but reckless." His father said and he lost it.

He stands and Maddie grabs his hand. She looked st him tears in her eyes. He knew they weren't because of him but for him.

His sister had raised him when his parents no longer wanted him. He held her hand tightly for a moment before they let go.

"Look what you've done. You've made your sister upset" his mother says and he knows he had to leave before he cries

Buck doesn't say anything else he just leaves as fast as he can. When he is outside he can hear Maddie starting to shout at their parents bit he just runs.

He thinks of all the times he has done this before. Running away from his parents.

When he was young he would run to the nearby park and wait tell night before coming back.

Then he would ride his bike tell he couldn't anymore. Then he got a motorcycle. He had gotten in a crash after a argument with his parents. Then Maddie gave him the jeep and it was the last time he ran.

He just drove and drove tell eventually needed up in LA. This time he just gets in his car and drives. He isn't sure where he is going.

He was crying and was constantly wiping his eyes so he could somewhat see the road.

He drives tell he enters a neighborhood he knows. He finds himself pulling into the drive way of the nash-grant house.

He parks and tried to collect himself. He isn't sure if he is even going to go inside but then Athena comes out.

She sees buck and opens his door. "Come inside buck its cold." She Says kindly and motherly.

He let's her lead him inside. Bobby looks suprised to see him. Buck couldn't meet his eye but athena gave Bobby a look.

Bobby hugged him and they sit together. "What happened?" Bobby said knowing he had dinner with his parents

"A lot..." Buck starts and Bobby smiles

"I've got time" Bobby says and buck relaxes slightly.

Athena leaves to get them hot coco and a snack. Buck looks at bobby and sighed.

"They gave Maddie a baby box. It was beautiful and had her name on it." He says and Bobby hums

"I was dumb enough to hope and I asked where was mine..." Buck ways and Bobby hugged him.

"We moved on and during dinner my father started going on about how being a firefighter was stupid and recklace" Buck said and Bobby's blood was boiling.

"I told him that most people would be proud of their son for running into the danger to save people but he..." Buck stopped honestly still processing what happened.

Bobby doesn't press he waits tell buck is ready to continue. "He said I've never done anything to make him proud" Buck says and Bobby wants to go punch him.

How can anyone not see how amazing and bright buck is. Bobby saw it the first day and has been helping buck use that.

Then buck says something that makes Bobby fold. "I just wish my parents would be proud of me just once" Buck says heartbroken

Athena came back just in time to hear this and she looks at bobby. "We are proud of you kid" Bobby says and buck looks suprised.

"We may have not given birth to you but we've raised you since the moment you came to LA and joined the 118. We see you as our kid" Athena says and bucks stares at her in shock

"And we are so extremely proud of you. You've come so far, you've learned so much and given everything your all." Bobby says and buck smiles crying.

They hug him and athena dicide to show buck he matters by calling everyone and asking if they wanted to have dinner with Them and buck.

Everyone shows up and buck was happy to see them but wasn't expecting who walks in next.

Maddie, chimney and jee walk in. Buck is shocked but smiles when his sister comes to hug him.

Maddie and buck talked while everyone got ready for food. "I'm sorry buck" she says and he shakes his head.

"It's ok. I don't need them to be proud of me. Bobby and athena are proud of me which means more then they ever will" he says and she hugs him.

"I'm proud of you too. Your not recklace. At least not anymore, I'm so greatful for Bobby and athena for taking you in when I couldn't be there to keep you out of trouble" she says and he smiled.

"Yea me too" he replies and Maddie hands him a bag.

"I don't have a pretty box but I thought it was still worth showing you." She explains

He takes it and looks through the pictures. They were all the post cards, photos and letters he wrote his sister while traveling.

He looked at her and she smiled. "You kept these?" He asked

"Of course I did. They may not be baby pictured but they still show you growing up and I'm sure Bobby had a lot more." She Says and buck smiles.

They look around at everyone and buck feels loved. He knows he matters to these people and that's all he needed.