Chapter 28: Medicine

"I didn't have the emotional or physical connection of any parent.

I was stranger to love.
I was stranger to communication.

I was starved to hugs.
I was starved of their presence.

I grew to learn that love is transactional.
I grew to learn that communication is a flaw.
I grew to learn that hugs are uncomfortable.

I grew to learn that their absence carved a void
I would be craving until I take my last breath."

"Don't make me go.  I hate that place".  Anita begged, closing her eyes again.

Derek pulled her closer into her chest on the bed and smiled.  "Just a few more months". Derek tried to reassure her.

"December is far away". Anita grumbled. "And it's only been the weekend since everything".  Anita didn't want to leave him alone.  She wanted to make sure he was fine.

Derek moved her hair away from her face. "I'll be fine".  He reassured her once again and then added; "I'll take you out for an early dinner when you get back".  Anita hummed at that.

"Fine.  I'll get up".  Anita said, slowly untangling herself from Derek's arms, sitting up and was about to crawl out of the bed.

"Not before I do this".  Derek pulled her back into her arms, kissing all over her face as she laughed.

~~~

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes, all tools the writer uses to tell their story".  Ms. Blake taught the classroom as she walked around.

Anita rolled her eyes at this.  "No, shit".  She mumbled under her breath from her seat.  She glanced over to Ms. Blake who was by Lydia.

"Idioms are something of a secret".  She continued to teach.  "To the people who know the language or the culture.  They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words.  Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race.  Or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'".  Ms. Blake gave examples.

"Like chess".  Stiles muttered under his breath.

"That's right, Stiles".  Ms. Blake applauded, looking at him.  "Do you play?"  She asked.

"Uh, no.  My father does".  Stiles played with his pencil. 

Ms. Blake smiled and then started to walk around the classroom again.   "Now, when does an idiom become a cliche?"

"I'm pretty sure I can get to Ethan.  Make him talk".  Scott leaned over, whispering to Stiles.

"Good.  Ask him why his brother is such an asshole".  Anita whispered, smiling sarcastically to Scott.  She was still pissed off about the whole thing.

She still had a bandage on her neck which was a pain to clean and take off.  Not to mention, convincing her parents the house was robbed due to the mess the twins left behind.  That was even worse to deal with.

Her parents blamed her for not locking the house up properly and didn't bother to hear her side and didn't even ask what happened to her neck.  They just placed the blame on her and compared her to Clarice once more.  Of how, Clarice was more responsible.