Chapter 18: Camping

"I should've hugged you tighter the last time I saw you"

July

"I'm leaving this town".

Anita told Simon.  She had her hands on her hips, looking at him from her doorway.  She had determination in her eyes.

"How?  Even working for the Sheriff, you still don't have enough money for a night in a hotel".  Simon looked at her.

"I'll find a way.  This place is driving me insane".  Anita entered her room.

"This town or your parents and your dead sister?"  Simon raised an eyebrow.

"Hey.  What did we talk about with the whole sister thing?" Anita asked with a serious look.

"Sorry.  Heat of the moment".  Simon apologized.  "This town or your parents,". Simon rephrased.

"Thank you and you're somewhat right".  Anita paced in her room as she held up her hand, her index finger to the ceiling. "Everything about this town just reminds me of the past. Nothing good". Anita explained.

"Derek". Simon said in a cough.

Anita whipped her head to look at him. "No". Anita moved her one hand up and down her arm nervously.

"Everyone knows it. Actually, only Isaac I think. Come on. I'm your best friend. Who am I going to tell?" Simon gave her a 'duh' look.

Anita bit back a laugh at his comment.

"He may of been one of the reasons why I broke up with Charlie". Anita closed her eyes as she told him. Simon clapped his hands happily.

"Great choice. Seriously. I hate Charlie. You should just drop him as a friend too". Simon smiled innocently.

"I've known him for awhile and he knows me and we have some interests and he makes me feel safe and that one day when our hands touched I felt sparks. Oh, my god. I like him". Anita's eyes widened as she finally heard herself.

"I ship it". Simon smiled widely. "What would the ship name be?" Simon asked himself.

"I just broke up with Charlie a month ago-"

"Exactly. A month ago and it was only for four months. Plus, it's Derek". Simon shrugged.

"I'm too young". Anita messed around with a few things in her dresser, her back to Simon.

"Five years is nothing". Simon said loudly.

"I'm not his type".

"That's not what his eyes say". Simon smirked.

"Simon!"

"What?"

"It's nothing. It's just a crush. I had one on Charlie and it turned out to be nothing". Anita turned back around to face him.

"You're nineteen. It's not a crush, especially when it comes to him". Simon's lips slowly turned into a smile. His little Anita was growing up.

~~~

Anita breathed out as she walked up the stairs of her house.  Happy that dinner was finally over.  Dinner with her parents was always walking on thin ice.  Her hands ran up the bannister as she walked up each step.  She got to her room and stopped in the doorway as Derek was sitting on her head, flipping through a book.

His eyes looked from the book to her.

Anita quickly walked in the room, closing the door.  "What are you doing here?"  She asked in a whisper.