Chapter 7: Thank You

"Maybe all the people who say ghosts don't exist are just afraid to admit that they do."

"Did you want me to give you a ride back home?"  Stiles asked Anita as him and Scott were getting ready to leave Derek's place.

Anita was sitting down at a table with her arm tugged around her leg that was tucked close to her.  Too be honest, Anita wanted to talk to Derek some more, basically catch up and also she didn't want Stiles to know where she lived.

With her taking awhile to answer, Derek spoke;

"I can drive her home later".

Anita gave him a thankful look while Stiles gave a thumbs up.

"Cool". 

And then Stiles and Scott were gone.

"You don't like Stiles do you?"  Derek asked once the two were gone.

"Nope".  Anita popped the 'P'.  She looked to Derek who was walking over to her and then took a seat on the other side of the table.

"You don't like him either?"  Anita asked and Derek shook his head, making her laugh.

"You have the same nose as your sister".  Derek told her and Anita nodded, before letting out a sigh.

"Also same hair color, same eyes. I look in the mirror and see her face in mine. It's weird and a bit depressing". Anita let out a short laugh, trying to make herself feel better.

"I don't think my parents like that". Anita looked up to Derek while shaking her head.

"Why?" Derek asked her.

Anita didn't know but it was easy talking to Derek. Maybe it was because she knew about the supernatural and how they knew already knew each other. Or maybe it was because he knew her sister and knew what it was like to lose one, but in his case, two.

"Ever since I got back they don't really talk to me, they don't make time to do things with me. You would think they would after not seeing me for years". Anita looked down at the table once more and was about to continue but Derek jumped in.

"Wait-they didn't even visit you?" Derek asked and Anita shook her head, 'no'. She heard Derek take in a deep breath.

"I tried too".

Anita looked up at him in shock. "What?"

"Apparently you have to be on some type of list to visit people at Eichen, me and Laura were not on it. We actually didn't know you were there till we went over to your house and your dad told us". Derek paused for a moment before continuing.

"And since we weren't on the list that's when Laura thought it was best for us to leave Beacon Hills". Derek finished.

"Oh..." Anita said lowly.

She was surprised. She didn't know that. Guess there were still many things that she didn't know.

And Derek knew that. Derek also knew that she didn't deserve to have gone to Eichen House. A part of him hated her parents for doing that to a kid just days after she saw her sister get buried into the ground.

Anita moved her leg back down to the ground as she began to play with her fingers, nodding her head.

"You know. Being in Eichen got me thinking and there was a thought that I would always push down because it couldn't of been true. But now..." Anita tilted her head to the side, tapping two fingers on the table for a moment before she stopped.

"But now, being back at home that thought was true and that is the day my sister and your family died in the fire...they weren't the only ones that died that day". Anita took a deep breath as she looked to Derek before nodding.

"Mr parents died that day too". Anita finished.

Derek didn't know what to say.  He knew Anita was hurting and he didn't blame her.  All the grief throughout the years just kept building it up and now it was coming all out.  Like a balloon that was getting too much air and now it popped.

"Sorry. That was-" Anita groaned from what she said, shaking her head.

"You have no reason to be sorry. I get it". Derek tried to reassure her.

"Yeah, but it was totally-"

"My Uncle Peter killed Laura". Derek blurted out.

"I'm sorry. What?" Anita blinked a few times from what he just said.

"Laura came to Beacon Hills and Peter ended up killing her. Peter was the one that ended up biting Scott, because you know he was the alpha on the lose. Kate of course. You know I dated her in high school?" Derek asked and Anita nodded before he nodded his head with a tight lipped look.

"Yeah. Kate was the one that burned my house so Peter slashed Kates throat and I slashed Peters". Derek finished.

"Ok. Wow". Anita was now the one loss for words.

"Feels good to let out, right?" Anita asked with a short, breath laugh.

Derek smiled and nodded. "Yeah". He agreed.

The two laughed for a bit. Oh, yes. Nothing like trauma dumping gets the day going. After a few more minutes, Anita was giving Derek a look.

"You can say it".

"It's stupid". Anita shook her head.

"Come on, you played with Barbie's. Nothing can get more stupid than that". Derek stood up from his chair. Anita gasped at him.

"You can't say that. You played with Cora and I before". She stood up from her chair, pointing at him with a wide smile.

"Only because Cora made me". Derek defended himself and Anita just waved him off.

"Ok. Fine. Nothing can be more stupid than me playing with a Barbie doll". Derek told her, causing her to snort.

"Maybe". She whispered but of course with his wolf hearing, he heard it.

The two were standing at opposite ends of the table. Derek was waiting for her to say something as he could hear her heartbeat start to increase and he could smell the anxiety waving off of her.

Anita was just debating because everyone who knew about her 'ghost thing' either sent her to Eichen House or thought she was crazy. But she was not crazy.

"I don't know if you know but the reason I was sent to Eichen House was because I saw Clarice'a ghost". Anita started. "Um, I see other ghosts. Like. It's a thing. I see ghosts". She let out a nervous laugh. Every once and awhile she looked away from Derek.

"I can communicate with them. I actually have a friend. My only friend that's a ghost. His name is Simon. Um, I see Clarice though. She doesn't know she's a ghost. That's a thing". Anita swallowed harshly as she started to breath a bit heavier and played with her fingers.

"But. Derek, I do see ghosts. I-I really do". She finally finished and was just waiting for him to say something. She was waiting for him to say that he didn't believe her. Just like the rest of them.

"I know". Derek said from where he stood as he looked at Anita as if she was made of glass.

"I believe you". Derek told her honestly.

"Y-You do?" Anita asked in shock and Derek nodded.

Anita took a moment to process those words that hurriedly closed the distance between them, wrapping her arms around Derek tightly. Her head pressed into his chest as she felt tears well in her eyes.

Derek, who was surprised at the sudden human contact, hugged her back as he heard Anita's weary breathing.

"Thank you". Anita whispered to him.

Derek Hale was the first person to believe her...

And no one would ever know how much that truly meant to her.

**I LOVE them.  More then anything**