Chapter 11: Hospital Blues

"There is a ghost here. A lonely, heartbroken spirit. The ghost of everything that could've been and never was".

"Derek, what happened?"  Isaac asked when Derek walked into the abandoned train station, seeing the blood that coated him.

"It's not mine.  It's Anita's". Derek looked down at his hands before looking up again.

"Is she okay?" Isaac asked worriedly. Isaac waited for an answer but he didn't get one.

"Derek".  Isaac said more urgently.

"I don't know".  Derek whispered, before walking away from him.  He didn't know why he came back here.  He wanted to be anywhere else but here.

~~~

"Anita"

"Anita"

Her name sounded like an echo to her ears.  Anita slowly opened her eyes and saw Clarice sitting on the bed, close to her.  A worried expression was on her face before it turned into a loving smile.

"Hey, there kiddo". 

"Clarice?"  Anita's voice sounded rough.  It was dry and she felt her body aching.

"How are you feeling?"  Clarice asked her.

"It hurts" Anita winced as she moved slightly.

"I'm going to go get a nurse". Clarice stood up.

"Clarice".  Anita whispered as she saw her figure start to walk away.  "Clarice.  Don't go...please".  Anita's lips trembled as she tried to move.  Once she couldn't see her sister anymore, she closed her eyes.

"Anita".

When Anita opened her eyes, she saw her mother sitting where Clarice was.

She didn't know if she was dreaming or not.  If that was her sisters ghost.  But all she did know was that she wished her sister was there.

"What happened?"  Her mother immediately asked.

"What?"  Anita asked.  Her voice still rough from how dry it was.

"What happened?  How did you get shot?"  Her mother asked.

"Weren't you paying attention?  It was that Matt kid".  Her father then came in the room, holding a cup of coffee.

"Well, how was I supposed to know?  What was she even doing at the station?  What were you doing there?"  Her mother looked from her father, back to Anita.

Great.  She just woke up and her parents didn't even ask how she was feeling.

At least Clarice did...

"My side hurts".  Anita spoke.

"She was probably with her friends".  Her father said.

"She doesn't have friends".  Her mother said.

The two of them ignoring her comment.

Anita groaned as she looked around, wondering if there was a button she could press to call a nurse in.

"Who even brought her in?  The lady at the front desk said it was a man.  He left before they got a name".  Her mother spoke.

"Can you get a nurse?  My side hurts".  Anita asked, but once again they didn't pay any attention to her.

"Do you think it was that Charlie guy?"  Her father asked.

"I said man.  Not boy!"  Her mother's voice got louder.