Chapter 21: Never Felt so Low

"In another universe,
it would have been me instead of you.

In this universe,
I would have chosen me instead of you.

I wish it was me".

It was dark.  Only sound could be heard in the void.  Mostly voices though.  Voices that Anita didn't want to hear.

"Peter..."

The sound of the floorboards cracking and then finally giving out.

"Clarice!"

And then Peters distraught cries echoed.

Anita's eyes snapped open, she let out a gasp, feeling her body basically take a screenshot. She then felt a comforting hand on her back, knowing instantly who it belonged too.

"You want to talk about it?" Derek asked.

Anita only looked at the wall in front of her.

"Not really". Anita whispered, her throat hurting from all the crying she did the night before.  "But there are some things I can't shake off".  Anita finished as she rolled herself over, Derek's hand retracting from her back.  She faced Derek but didn't look at him.  She just looked at the bed.

"Clarice knows that she's dead and I haven't seen her in days. Is she avoiding me or did she cross over to the other side?" 

"She probably needs to figure a few things out".  Derek tried to reassure her, not taking his eyes off her.

Anita stayed silent for a moment before finally meeting his eyes.  "I'm just worried for her".

Didn't matter that Clarice was dead.  Anita was always going to worry for her sister.  Especially, now. 

"Derek!"  Isaac's voiced echoed through the building.  Derek let out a deep sigh before getting out of the bed and heading towards where Isaac called him.

Anita just rolled back over and stared blankly at the wall in front of her.  She could hear the two talking but their voices were too far away to make out exactly what they were saying.

Soon enough.  She heard the two get closer.  Derek sitting at the table and Isaac pacing in front of the large panel of windows, close to her.

"You know, I'm starting not to like this idea. Sounds kinda dangerous. You know I definitely don't like this idea, and I definitely don't like him

"You'll be fine". Derek didn't look at him as he was reading through a book.

"Does it have to be him?" Isaac stopped pacing as he stood on the other side of the table

"He knows how to do it. I don't. It would be more dangerous if I tried doing it myself". Derek still looked at the book.

"You know, Scott doesn't trust him. Right? You know, personally, I'd trust Scott-"

"Do you trust me?" Derek lifted his head and looked at Isaac.

"Yeah". Isaac played around with the edges of the chair. "I still don't like him".