Prologue

"Nobody sees me"

"Why don't they see me?"

"I can't find my home"

"I am not dead"

"I don't understand"

These are only some of the constant questions Anita Lockett deals with almost everyday of her life.  From a young age she could communicate with spirits.  It all started when her older sister died. 

Clarice.  She was far older then Anita.  She was 22 when she died.  Cause of death?  The Hale House Fire.

Anita first saw her sister a few days after her death. Of course she really didn't understand death so she told her parents that she was seeing her sister. Despite her parents telling her to stop with her lies they came to the conclusion that she was crazy and sent her to Eichen House.

Didn't take long for Anita to know what death was after that.  Ghosts came to her left and right.  She spent countless nights crying, asking for help, but no one would help her.  She was left alone.  The only company she ever had were the ghosts.

What is a ghost?  Something dead that seems alive.  Something dead that doesn't know it's dead.

Ghosts don't understand they are dead.  They still believe they are alive.  They're confused.  Never know where to go and most times not know how to go to the light.

Anita always had to deal with her sister coming back to her, asking where mom and dad was.  Where her friends were.  It broke Anita's heart to see her sister this way.  It broke her heart even more to have to tell her own sister that she was dead over and over again.  Like a constant broken record.

It's rare for a ghost to finally understand they are dead.  That they know they're dead.  They say a strong memory does the trick to make them know that they are dead.

Simon Sterling. He was a ghost that knew he was dead. He came to Anita when he heard from the others that there was a child that could see them. He was annoyed by the others, mostly because he was surrounded by ghosts that didn't know they were dead.

He befriended Anita at her first year in Eichen. He reassured her she would be ok and if the ghosts got too annoying to tell them to go away and they would.

Simon was smart. A genius actually. It only took him a few days after his death to know he was dead. He appeared at his own funeral. Didn't know why he was there, but something drew him to it. The moment he saw his own face next to the casket lowering to the ground, it was like a switch went off in his head and he remembered. He remembered how he died;

Ice Hockey accident.

The ice broke and he fell in. He remembered how it felt to die. He pounded the ice that quickly formed over the hole where he fell. His friends tried to break the ice to get to him but all he felt was coldness, then he choked on the water and couldn't breath anymore. Whoever said drowning was peaceful was a liar. He felt nothing but pain.

Now, Anita is 19. The workers, the therapists, and even her parents believed that she was fine. That the crazy went away. So they brought Anita home and she would start her Junior year of high school. But barley anyone would know her as Anita, as she already had a name for herself. As everyone who entered and left Eichen had a name.

Ghost Whisperer