Chapter 8: Simon

"As a kid, seeing ghosts was not what I wanted.  They were quite mean.  But all you need is one ghost friend".

Anita heard the phone ring in the kitchen and quickly scrambled out of her bed and ran down the stairs.  Anita's parents who were in the kitchen looked over as they saw her race around the corner and then picked up the phone.

"Hey!"  Anita greeted happily.

"How's it going?"  Charlie's voice sounded on the other end of the line.

Anita's parents shared a look and than back to their daughter.

"It's Charlie".  Anita told them and her mom just gave a nod while her dad grumbled.

Anita took the phone and headed up the stairs back to her room. 

"What are you going?" Anita asked as she laid on her stomach once she reached her bed.

"I was writing a paper but taking a break now".

"I feel honored that you're using your break time to talk to me".  Anita smiled widely.

"Well, you are a gem".

Anita felt all giddy.  She loved talking to Charlie.  He made her feel seen and special. He was the only one at school that didn't judge her while all the other students did.  It was safe to say she had a crush on him.

The two talked for almost an hour when Anita told him that she had to go.  She said her mom needed her but in all honestly she was getting tired of Simon just staring at her and mimicking Charlie.

Once Anita hung up, Anita let out a huff and gave Simon a look.

"You have my full undivided attention now".  Anita told him.

"Good.  You should stop talking to him".  Simon told her.

"Simon, come on.  We've already had this conversation.  Quite a few times".  Anita sat up in her bed.

Simon sighed, looking around the room with an annoyed look.  "Just trust me on this Anita".  Simon almost pleaded.

"Just let me be happy".  Anita was now the one that pleaded.  She held her hands to her chest.  "He's the only one that came up to me at the school.  He's my only friend, and of course besides you but he's alive".  Anita looked at him sadly.

Simon frowned at her words as he looked at her.  He did make her happy, and he saw it.  Simon nodded.

"Ok. You know I'm here for you whenever, right?" Simon asked.

Anita gave him a thankful smile and nodded.

"I know".

First Year in Eichen House

"Help me"

"Please just leave me alone".  A young Anita begged as she laid underneath her bed.  Her hands over her ears as she squeezed her eyes shut tightly.

Anita breathed out heavily and when she opened her eyes she didn't see anyone.  That was until a ghost of a woman appeared just inches from her face.

"Help me".  The woman's voice was rasped and Anita let out a scream of terror, closing her eyes once again.

"Go away".  A new voice sounded.

"She can see me.  She's the only one.  She needs to help me".  The woman told the new voice.

"You're scaring her.  Scaring a young girl isn't going to help you.  Now go". 

It was silent again and Anita opened her eyes, seeing a pair of feet close by the bed.

"You can come out now.  She's gone".  The voice said softly.

"You're one of them.  Aren't you?"  Anita squeaked out.  "You're a ghost".

The voice chuckled.  "I am.  But not quite like them.  Unlike them, I know I am a ghost.  My name is Simon".  The ghost introduced himself.

Anita slowly moved her hands away from her ears but she stayed where she was at.  She saw Simon adjust his feet.

"Anita".  She introduced herself.

"That's a nice name". Simon said.

"My sister picked it out". 

Anita bit her lip before she dragged herself from out under the bed and stood up as she looked at Simon.

Simon give her a soft smile and a wave.

"I don't like the ghosts".  Anita told him honestly and he nodded.

"I know.  I'm one and I don't quite like them either".  Simon told her which made Anita smile for a moment.

"Why won't they leave me alone?"  She asked.

"Because you're different.  It's rare for people that are still alive to see us".   Simon explained to her.

"I don't want to be different".  Anita sighed, looking down at her bare feet.

"I know, I'm sorry".  Simon looked at her sadly.

"But".  Simon started and Anita looked back at him.  Simon walked closer to her and pointed to her heart.

"You just be yourself.  You may be different but you're still Anita".  Simon gave her a warm smile and Anita nodded at him.  He did make her feel better.

Anita wanted to hug him.  To feel that comfort but she knew she couldn't.  Because she tried to with her sister.  Many times, and she just went right through her, feeling nothing.

"Why don't ghosts move on?"  Anita asked him.

"Well, because.  They have unfinished business or they need to do something in order to move on".  Simon explained to her slowly.

"That means you and my sister have to do that".  Anita noted out loud as she sat on her bed, her legs dangling as they were just inches away from the ground.

"Yeah".  Simon gave a nod before he kneeled down on one knee to look at her at eye level.

"Anita".  Simon stared.  "I'm going to tell you how to get rid of ghosts, alright?  So they don't bother you when you want them gone".  Simon explained to her in a comforting voice.

Anita nodded eagerly.  She didn't know that was possible to do.

"Alright.  So when there's a ghost and you want them gone.  You just tell them to 'go away'.  You may have to say it a few times but they end up leaving.  You got that?"  Simon explained than asked to make sure she would remember it.

Anita gave another nod and Simon stood back up.

"Good". 

"Simon?"  Anita asked.

"Yes?" 

"Can you stay with me?"  Anita asked with innocent eyes.  "Just until I fall asleep?" 

"I'll stay.  I promise".