Chapter 17: Forgivness

"She is not dead.  She is just away"

June

Anita was pacing her room while Simon watched from her bed.

"Is it Charlie?" Simon asked seriously.

Anita stopped pacing.  Silently looking at Simon and then to the ground.

"It is".  Simon contained his happiness.  He hated the guy.

"I feel like he doesn't understand me".  Anita finally spoke up.  Looking back up to Simon.  "I think I was so excited that someone liked me and my crush for him moved too fast".  Anita admitted.

"Are you going to break up with him?" Simon asked, getting closer to her as if he was a teenage girl in high school that loved gossip.

Anita silently nodded and then sighed. "4 months for what?" Anita asked.

"Hey, I did..." Simon stopped as he didn't want to upset her more. "It's good to date. At least now you know you two aren't a match. Plus, 4 months is really nothing". Simon tried to lift her spirits.

"I guess". Anita grumbled. "I don't know how he's going to take it". Anita moved her hair out of her face.

"Do it fast. Like a bandaid. Can I be there when you break up?" Simon asked with too much excitement.

"No". Anita said like it was the most obvious thing.

Charlie showed up at her house right on time, as usual and he was his happy self that was head over heels for Anita.

"What did you have in mind for today, darling?"  Charlie asked.

"I-uh, I, let's sit".  Anita sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to her.

Charlie smiled and sat next to her and leaned in to kiss her.  Charlie of course thought that they were going to make out.

"Wait".  Anita leaned back and placed her hand on his chest.  "I wanted to talk".  Anita looked at him.

"Sure.  What about?"  Charlie asked, pulling back.

"I don't think...this".  Anita gestured between the two of them.  "Is working".  Anita finished slowly as she looked at him worriedly.

Charlie's smile instantly vanished.  "What?  Are you breaking up with me?"  Charlie then asked and Anita nodded her head.

"I'm sorry.  You're really nice Charlie, but we don't have much in common and we just rushed into it.  I would rather us be friends".  Anita explained.  Her voice was soft as she was scared of how he would react.

Charlie sat there for a moment, his eyes moving back and forth as he looked at the ground with a frown.  He then looked back to her and nodded his head.

"Ok.  Yeah, we can be friends".  Charlie forced a smile.

"I'm sorry". Anita fiddled with her hands.

"It's alright darl-Anita". Charlie took her hands in his. "I just want you to be happy". Charlie reassured her.

"But, I should probably go. I think it will make the rest of the night awkward". Charlie suggested and Anita nodded.

The two stood up slowly and Anita walked Charlie out.

"Bye Charlie". Anita said lowly.

"Bye Anita".

Two Weeks Later

It was a bit awkward between Anita and Charlie. When they talked on the phone, it was short and then when they met up in person it was quiet. They both agreed that some more time apart would do both of them good to fix their friendship and that's what they've been doing.