Chapter 13: Growth

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"

Isaac opened up his locker, his eyebrows furrowed together as he grabbed a brown banana, sniffed it then shrugged his shoulders as he put it back.

"Isaac".  Anita walked up to him.

"How was the date?"  Isaac asked with a smile, crossing his arms over his chest. He was waiting to hear all about it through the weekend.

"It was fine".

"Fine?" 

"It was really nice but-" Anita stopped talking. Why was she telling him this?

"I'm waiting". Isaac looked at her.

"Not to be rude but I don't think I should". Anita told his honestly.

"You can't stop at it was fine". Isaac closed his locker.

Anita then bounced a bit where she stood.  She really wanted to talk about it with someone and she couldn't tell Charlie because it was about him and the other part felt bad for talking.

Anita let out a groan, shaking her head while Isaac watched her with a raised eyebrow.

"Fine!"  Anita caved and Isaac looked intrigued now.

"It was very nice but I was just embarrassed.  Like I told Simon-"

"Whose Simon?"  Isaac cut her off.

Isaac watched her face turn to worry and then heard her heart start to beat faster in her chest.  She was a nervous wreck.

"Is he a ghost?"  Isaac asked.  Of course he knew.  Everyone at Beacon High knew why she went to Eichen. 

"Yes".  Anita's answered was so quiet that he would not have heard it if it wasn't for his wolf hearing.

"Cool".  Isaac nodded his head.

Anita was waiting for anything but that. Someone being 'cool' with her seeing ghosts was not an everyday thing. She was always waiting for the harsh remark.

"Uh, yes. I just-" Anita breathed out, closing her eyes. "I just don't know". Anita opened her eyes as she rested her head on a locker next to Isaac.

"Everything is just so complicated and now I'm scared to confront him".

Isaac patted her back. "There. There". Isaac tried to make her feel better.

"Anita".

Anita lifted her head as she saw Charlie making his way over. "Oh, no. He found me". Anita told Isaac as she watched Charlie.

Isaac followed her gaze and then back to her with a sympathetic look in the eyes. "Good luck?" Isaac questioned before walking away.

Anita moved her hair off her shoulder as Charlie made his way up to her.

"Hey". Charlie smiled. "I hate to ask but are you avoiding me?"

Anita let out a nervous laugh while doing some gestures.  This caused nearby students to look at her oddly. 

"Whaaaaaat?"  She dragged out.  "No".  Anita shook her head.

No words were spoken between the two.  They just stared at one another.  Charlie let out a sigh.  "Did I do something?"

She knew, that he knew she was avoiding him.

Shit.

"No.  No.  You didn't do anything.  The date was amazing.  I'm just me".  She gestured to herself.

"It was my first date and sometimes I'm embarrassed by my answers".  She told him honestly.

"You don't need to feel embarrassed around me.  I like who you are.  I would never judge you".  Charlie told her seriously.  He meant it.

Anita felt her cheeks start to warm up again but she quickly composed herself as she placed her hands behind her back.  "Thank you".  She gave him a court nod.  "That means a lot".  Anita added softly. 

"I like you too".  Anita finished, causing Charlie to smile widely.

"So, no more avoiding?"  Charlie pointed to her.  Causing Anita to roll her eyes playfully. 

"No more avoiding". Anita confirmed.

"Good. Because they're playing Ghost at the theatre this Thursday and I wanted to watch it with you- and now that I am saying it out loud that sounds bad because you can see-"

"The one with Patrick Swayze?" Anita cut him off with wide eyes and he nodded.

"So, you've heard of it?" Charlie smiled again.

"It's my favorite movie". Anita admitted. "Bit funny but the ending always gets to me".

"Don't spoil it". Charlie pleaded.

"Can't believe you haven't seen it but I would love to see it with you. I can't wait to see what you think of it". Anita beamed where she stood.

"Until then".  Charlie leaned closer and gave her a kiss on the cheek before he made his way, down the hall to his class.

~~~

Anita hummed to herself as she was walking home. A smile on her face as she was wishing it would be Thursday already. She had an idea of what she was going to wear, but she was happy that she finally was allowing herself to be fully comfortable around him.

"I see everything is fine now".  Simons voice filled her ears.  He was walking on the edge of the sidewalk slowly, besides her.

"You were there?"  Anita questioned with raised eyebrows.

"Around the corner".  Simon had a flat smile.

Anita scoffed.  "Eavesdropper".

Simon smiled wider at the comment.

"Don't you think it's weird that he suggested the movie, Ghost?"  Simon asked.

"Oh, come on.  He knows.  It's not an insult.  It's a good movie".  Anita took Charlie's back.

"Ok. Ok". Simon raised his hands up in surrender before hoping off the sidewalk and onto the street.

"What grade did you get on your paper?" Simon asked curiosity.

"Solid B". Anita shrugged.

"That's good". Simon gave her a proud smile.

"Says the one who was a straight A student". Anita muttered.

"Anita".

"The teacher has it out to me. You've seen how he is when I ask him questions or say stuff". Anita adjusted the straps on her backpack but kept her head up high. "All I know is, I will get a good grade on my final". Anita smiled.

"He already gave it out?" Simon asked with surprise. "There's four months left".

"It's a ten page paper and I will not share with you what the details are. It's a surprise". Anita held a wide smile.

"Alright then...keep your secrets". Simon smiled back at her.

The two sharing a laugh as they continued their way to the house.