Chapter 16: In the Summertime

"Man plans and God laughs"

"Schools out for summer!  Schools out for-ever!"  Isaac sang terribly as he swung his arm over Anita.  Anita was quick and shrugged his arm off as she walked beside him.

Everyone was going crazy.  Teenagers were running around, papers being thrown everywhere.

"Hey!  Hey!  Clean that up!  Greenberg don't be stupid nobody wants to look at your failure of papers".  Coach Finstocks voice sounded loudly.

"This was a hell of a year".  Isaac said.

"You're telling me".  Anita walked down the stairs, finally getting out of the school.

"Summer!"  Some kid was hanging half way out of his friends car as it sped off by them.

"Is everyone always this crazy when summer starts?"  Anita raised an eyebrow, holding her books close to her chest.

"Basically".  Isaac nodded his head slowly than looked to Anita, grabbing her books from her and tossing them in the trash can.

Anita shook her head at Isaac but trailed after him down the street then stopped once they got to Derek's Camaro.  Derek leaned over and opened the door.

"Isaac.  Back".  Derek said sternly with his sunglasses on.

"Yeah.  Yeah.  Figures".  Isaac grumbled, making his way to the back of the car.

"Anita".  Derek greeted, his mood instantly changing when he looked at her.

"Hi".  Anita smiled, sitting down and then closed the door.

"When do you start your job?"  Isaac spoke from the back.

"You got a job?"  Derek asked as he drove away from the chaos of a school.

"Kinda".  Anita nodded her head.  "Sheriff Stilinski actually needed some help with organizing files and other things. He said his office is a mess. I really couldn't find a job but he said he'd pay me some cash when I'm in and helping". Anita explained as she pulled down the visor, her eyes squinting a bit from the sun.

"First thing I'm buying is sunglasses". Anita told the two.

"I thought it was a phone?" Isaac asked cheekily.

"That is a must". Anita groaned.

"You're fine with going back to the station?" Derek asked, looking at her for a moment before back at the road.

"Not really. But Sheriff Stilinski said he will start it out slow with me. Basically baby steps". She smiled with a nod, putting her hand up to block the sun.  She felt like her eyes were about to pour out of their eye sockets.

"Do you have an extra pair of sunglasses for the car ride?"  Anita asked.

"Check the center console".  Derek told her.

Anita looked down and reached towards the center console, the same time as Derek.  Their hands brushing on one another for a moment before they both pulled their hands back.

"Sorry".  Anita apologized in a low voice.

Derek didn't say anything as he opened up the center console and pulled out a pair of sunglasses.

"Thank you".  Anita gently took them, putting them on. 

"Can we get ice cream?" Isaac asked.

Derek looked in the revere mirror to stare at Isaac. Even though Isaac couldn't see Derek's eyes. He knew it was a glare. Anita even turned back and gave Isaac a look. He was like a child.