Chapter 46

Karina and I were seated in the lunchroom as CJ entered through the swing doors. I tipped my head in his direction, wordlessly telling Karina that there was something interesting. She looked over her shoulder, turning back with blushed cheeks. CJ had seen her looking at him and given her a smirk in return. Slowly, her eyes lifted to me and my amusement.

"Don't say anything," she whispered. "But maybe he might have not slept in his own bed last night."

I grinned with a waggle of my brows, and her cheeks flushed just a little harder.

"Evie," she chided.

"Hey, I'm the one that's pregnant with twins. Pretty sure it's obvious that I've been sharing my bed as well."

Karina gave me a one-shoulder shrug as she lowered her gaze to the meal in front of her.

"Are you okay with what happened?"

Her eyes bolted up, staring at me like I'd said something shocking.

"Of course I am."

"Okay, well, you're just acting odd, that's all."

"We talked about it for a while and I said that the past is behind me and that I'm going to pretend he was my first. I was worried, but he was so sweet and kept saying it was okay to stop. He wouldn't be mad or anything. Coop said that he'd even be happy just to lay there."

A soft smile filled her face.

"It kind of felt like it was the right time, you know? To move on and grow. I'm glad that we did."

"Well, I am happy that you're okay with it and that it went well for the both of you."

"Oh, it went well alright."

"Too much information." I cooed.

The cheeky thing grinned as if she had a dirty secret. I'm sure she did. I just didn't need to hear about it and then have to face CJ.

The man of the hour crossed the gap between the servery to our table with great strides, taking the spot next to Karina. He leaned in and whispered something in her ear. Whatever it was, it had to be either amusing or scandalous because the smile grew so large I saw her fangs.

"You are going to blush yourself to death."

Karina scoffed, pressing her drink bottle against her cheeks.

"Hey,"

I looked up and saw one of the footballers moving towards our table with his tray in his hands.

"Mind if I join you guys?"

Karina shrugged, too busy scarfing down her fries. CJ smiled at the guy who had decided that next to me was his ideal seat. Anzide's eyes narrowed, but he remained in his position, leaning against the nearby wall. If he'd listened to me and just appeared, this wouldn't be an issue.

"It's Evie, right?"

"Yeah."

"Danny."

I nodded, saying nothing else. I wasn't prepared to invite danger like that.

When another footballer appeared at the table with his tray in hand, I knew that it was only going to get worse. CJ and Karina moved to one end, which was great, except that I was distracted by watching them move for the other guy that I didn't notice another had appeared. He sat to my left, making me the Evie filling in a footballer sandwich. I felt so tiny.

Anzide was not a happy boy at the moment. I had to give him credit. He hadn't moved or said a word. The glower was mighty but the lips were still. At first, I thought it might have been jealousy, but then I realized that these guys were in the football team, the same team that Kannon had been on. These were his friends. Would they act on his behalf?