Chapter 30

Like they knew what was coming for them, the occupants of the portal were already assembled in the meeting room. Mother slowly ambled to her seat, glancing at the door as it opened again. My father looked around, and after closing the door, he moved quickly to us.

"Is this the hill you wish to die on, Evelyn?"

"I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that. The rules are clear, yet the beings that run this place have been disobeying them."

Carsten nodded with a heavy sigh. He moved to his seat, still beside me as my support and counsel if needed.

"We haven't decided your fate." Delray offered.

"I'm not here for that. Can you tell me what the rulings are?"

He glanced at the other beings at the table. The one next to Delray offered a shrug. With a heavy sigh, Delray turned back to me.

"The rules of the portal and higher beings?"

"The ones that are inscribed in stone around the gate. Please tell everyone listening what they say."

"Uh, no eternal higher being can be refused entry or cast out of the portal."

"And the other one?"

"All eternal higher beings must be granted a place of residence within the land of the Eternals. I really don't see,"

"What is defined as a higher being?" I interrupted.

Delray huffed, frowning heavily at me.

"Angel, demon, phoenix, and nephilim. Outcasts do not count."

Holding up the book, Delray's eyes widened a fraction. Clearly, he knew what I was about to say. It was sad, really. I would have thought that this place was about unity.

"By definition, this book about the Eternals states that an outcast is a term that refers to one of four Eternal beings that have been punished. It goes on to say that it is not to be considered a new species because the term will not be permanent. Your statement is incorrect. Tell me, where do the Nephilim reside?"

"In the land of the outcasts."

"Is that within the land of the Eternals?"

He was still staring at me. The beauty of this was that he could not lie.

"Technically, only a portion of it is."

"But the majority?"

Delray gave a vague shrug.

"So, you're breaking the rules of the portal, is that correct?"

"It appears that you're correct."

"It appears? Yes or no answer, please."

"Yes. Is there a point to this?"

"Of course there is. You're going to change things now that someone has finally stood up and said that this is unacceptable. The Nephilim must reside in the land of the Eternals. I expect that when you finally decide my fate as an outcast, you will tell me that Anzide and I will be given a home in the land of the Eternals and be free to travel to any land because no eternal higher being can be refused entry."

"You have no authority in this place, nor can you hold us to ransom with your spells or threats."

"I'm not holding you ransom, and I've never claimed to have any authority. I'm here to remind you and everyone else in this place that your segregation is illegal. If you ignore me, then I will only get louder. That was a threat if you were wondering."