Chapter 42

I stood near the grandest of doors, nerves fraught while desperately clinging to Niko. Beyond the double doors inlaid with gold was a family I'd never met. Rows of my uncles, aunts, cousins, and a grandfather that I wouldn't know, even if I fell over them on the street.

I'd walk down the aisle while they looked at me, the stranger that they were related to, the woman that caused chaos in their perfect world. Would they look at me with curiosity, love, or hatred?

The door opened, and Beatrice slipped out, quietly shutting the door again.

"Okay, so do you remember the plan?"

I nodded. We'd stayed up late discussing many things, but passing me to the next in the line was something that kept their attention for a while. I left them to it, preferring to go through the service with Eda. She agreed to keep it simple because, in the portal, time moves differently, and time was something that I did not have. No one knew if I would maintain the Earth time while I was in the portal or if it would speed up the pregnancy. The book said five months, but it never specified what would happen if the mother shifted between the areas.

"Alright then. I will see you both in there. Don't be too long."

Beatrice opened the door, and in her place, a servant stepped out. He would open the door when we approached, then close it behind us.

Niko faced me, taking my hands.

"My darling Evelyn, you have accomplished so much in the short time that I have known you. In the coming days and weeks, you will continue to progress in your path, learning so many grand things. You will become a wife and mother. You will join my beloved Beatrice to be a powerful matriarch. All of it pales when compared to the love that you have shown me, and the faith that you gave me when you removed the brick. You trusted me when you knew nothing about me. I could never repay the debt that I have accrued. In that one moment, you changed my world. You returned me to this life, to my love, and to my family. I am proud to be your great-grandfather and honored to be included in your life."

"You know it's mean to make a pregnant woman cry on her wedding day, right?"

Niko smiled with a nod.

"I love you too," I whispered, hugging him hard.

Pulling away, I wiped the tears. Resting my hand on Niko's forearm, we walked into the grand hall. Karina was behind me, fluffing out the dress, ensuring it was perfect.

"See you down there," she cooed.

The vibrant woman was already on her way, gliding down the aisle as if she owned the place and enjoyed the attention. I was looking for the nearest bucket to carry with me in case the nerves became too much.

Beatrice was standing near Carsten. The plan was that when we reached them, Niko would pass me to my father and then continue down the aisle with Beatrice, almost as if they were a part of the wedding party. It was an interesting way of doing it, and I hoped it worked.

My father didn't have a partner. I said he could ask a sister if he liked or a friend, but he said that one idea would cause a mini war to break out and the other was not appropriate in this situation. So, Mother was waiting with Brad.

Reaching Beatrice, she smiled and hugged me. I saw happiness in her eyes, but there was a hint of sadness as well. It occurred to me that she probably remembered when my grandparents married, that is, if she attended the wedding. Poor Niko didn't get to watch his daughter marry.

Niko and Beatrice began the path after Karina, leaving me to continue with my father.

"So, this is your family?"