Chapter 28

We'd been talking about possible situations and what plans we could make when there were so many variables when Carsten paused. As he sat forward in the chair, his eyes lifted, and he frowned deeply.

"We're being summoned to the portal."

"I guess this means that they've decided."

My father gave me a grim smile.

"It's going to be okay. You are my only child, and I am the creation of two extremely powerful and well-connected Angels."

"Yeah, but that means nothing when it comes to my smart mouth."

Carsten chuckled before saying goodbye to everyone and fading out of the marquee. With an uneasy smile and wave, I entered the portal.

Benicio was waiting for us at the entrance to the portal. He gestured to enter as he turned. Anzide took my hand, and we walked into the portal, following Benicio. Guiding us to a large room on the second floor, he held open the door.

"This is the meeting room. Please take a seat."

In the vast room, a long table was lined with many people, Mother being one of them. Benicio called this a meeting room, but it was more like an auditorium. The chairs surrounding us rose high and all were full of people who had clearly come to see the spectacle that was me. I would have thought that this should be a private meeting, but I guess I was wrong.

My father was next to me, which I found strange.

"How come you're here?"

"Because I have offered to counsel you if necessary."

"Okay, but just be aware that I'm not changing my mind. If they won't let Anzide into the land of the Phoenix, then I'm not interested in the house."

"If you don't take the house, then you will be one of the outcasts."

"Then I can live with Anzide, right?"

Carsten looked at me and smiled.

"I suppose you would."

"None of this matters when I can't bring the rest of my family," I muttered.

"That is also a part of their discussion. You are one of only a few who have a connection to immortals, but they are beginning to realize that the more we grow as a species, the greater the chances of this happening again become. Yet again, you revolutionize the way that we think and do in this world."

"And that is not as ideal as you think, young one," Mother interjected.

I shrugged, giving her and the ones around a challenging look. It did not wither as I'd hoped.

"Good afternoon, and thank you for attending at such short notice. I am Delray, the portal master. We have convened to advise you regarding the outcome of our discussion and hand down the decision. You stated to Benicio that you are not prepared to reside in the land of the Phoenix if the outcast known as Anzide cannot reside with you. Is that statement still true, or do you wish to recant it?"

"No, it's still true."

Delray nodded, leaning forward on the table. His hands clasped, and a smile was offered. It was the kind of smile that was designed to make me feel small and insignificant.

"What makes you think that you, a mere half-caste, can dictate the rules to us?"

It felt like snakes hissed with rattlesnakes wildly flicking their tails in my mind as the anger burned. I stood, the chair scraped against the floor. In the seats behind, I could see Renuge. His eyes went wild as a huge grin crossed his face. Yep, he knew that this was going to get crazy.