Chapter 19

Karina was waiting for me near the side doors. In the shade of the building, she was shielded from the morning sun and almost hidden from view. I approached, unsure of how much I should say in the open setting of the school. Ears were everywhere, and they were always listening.

"Had a rough night?"

"More than just a night. What's new?"

"Not much, but I might have actually been inside where it was cooler, but then it got a little too perky, so I decided to come out here. The view is rather cute."

Karina nodded to the field where the football team was practicing.

"All I see is a bunch of guys."

"Well, yeah, but there's a new guy."

She was leaning on the wall with a dreamy look in her eyes. I scanned the group, searching through the guys that I'd seen before while trying to figure out who the new one was.

"Not seeing it. What's his number?"

"Ten."

That made it easier. Mostly because he was looking at me. Even at a distance, I could tell that he wasn't human.

"He's cute."

"I'll take your word for it."

"Oh, come on, Evie. Admit that he's cute."

"Well, sure. He's reasonably good-looking. Not my style, though. Besides, I have a partner and I'm happy where I am. I can't screw normies anyway, remember?"

"Oh yeah." she hummed. "Even if he's not a normie?"

"You can feel it, too?"

Karina nodded.

"He's most likely a vampire that's spent enough time acclimatizing himself to the sunlight so that he can cope with human schooling."

"Maybe he's something else."

Because James did not elaborate on what he meant when he said that he'd brought paranormals to the town. Paranormals could mean a few different species.

"I wouldn't worry about it for now, though. Come on, I've got to find a safe space to tell you what you missed out on."

"Sounds intriguing."

As we walked through the doors, I looked at the field. Curiously, Kannon was not out there. It seemed odd, considering he'd made a point of telling me that he was in the team, which indicated he was excited about it. Maybe he just wanted to keep nipping at me to make me crumble into believing we were friends.

The new guy was still watching me, and I didn't know what to make of it. Anzide was close by, and I knew that he was unseen because Karina hadn't acknowledged him. She knew that if she didn't see him, I didn't want her to say hello or anything like that. If he was hidden, she had to pretend that I was alone.

"When's your first class?"

Karina looked at her schedule.

"Ten. You?"

"Same. I swear Harlwood did this intentionally."

"But it's sweet, right? It means that he cares."

"Or that he's trying to make me into his best friend. It doesn't bother me. I just find it weird."

"Everything in this town is weird."

I chuckled.

"That's what I thought when we first moved here. Oblivious people that don't notice the strange things that happen. It rained relentlessly for a week, and then, all of a sudden, it stopped. Of course, I know why now, but back then, it was the strangest thing I'd ever seen."