Chapter 40

Beatrice, in her alter ego, turned up after lunch. We decided to part ways although I think that Anzide was having trouble leaving. He would always worry regardless of where I was or who I was with. But this was the arrangement. A day out dress shopping with Beatrice and Karina. So, he took Beatrice's car home, as well as a lot of meals that Beatrice had ordered from the restaurant.

I'm sure that he would be greeted with a freaked-out uncle and great-grandfather because I was going to drive home. Their concerns were that I still wasn't competent, and neither was Anzide. They also worried about getting into an accident and the health of the babies. Beatrice said she would deal with them and to not worry about it. After all, we were both Eternals and learning things came quickly to us. They worried needlessly.

I was grateful for their concern, and I wasn't about to ignore it or be dismissive. It wasn't just me or Anzide on the road. We had to be mindful of everyone else and the actions they would take.

As for the rest of our company, that was CJ, who was still here. I didn't mind. He was waiting for his mother to pick him up and she was running late. So, he was sitting on the window ledge of the shop, playing the acoustic guitar that had been a prop. It didn't make much sense to me, but there were a lot of things that were like that.

When he first started toying with the strings, he got a frown from the woman running the shop, but once he began to play a song, she stopped. Nothing had been said, so I guess she wasn't that annoyed. It's not like he was trying to play a rock concert with the thing. He was just strumming softly, making a sweet tune that was rather pleasant.

"Well?"

Beatrice turned from the window and smiled. CJ's gaze rose, and with an appreciative smile, he nodded.

"Yep, that's the dress."

Beatrice looked at CJ with mild amusement.

"What?" he said, a little taken aback. "She looks great in it."

"I agree." Karina offered. "But I don't think you were being asked."

He shrugged and turned back to looking out the window.

"Your grandfather will have a fit."

I looked at the white lace that covered the soft tan material.

"I guess it does look like I'm naked underneath. It's a shame, I really like it."

It was soft and flowed around my body. The boho-style wedding dress was delicate and beautiful. It accentuated but gave room to grow, which was necessary. That is unless we were married tonight.

Beatrice sighed with a sympathetic smile.

"I like it too. Alright. Let me work on your grandfather."

"You know what I like just as much as this dress?"

She was intrigued, probably already aware that I was up to no good. The smile on my face was always a giveaway.

"What's that, darling?"

"This dress over here."

"It's quite pretty," she offered.

"Do you think that Karina would like it?"

The shoes that were in Karina's hands dropped, and her eyes widened.

"I think she might. Maybe you should ask her."

"Well?"

Fumbling, Karina picked up the shoes and put them back on the shelf.

"I thought you were marrying, you know, out of town."