Chapter 27

Karina followed us to the tent. I looked at Anzide, silently questioning him, which earned nothing more than a confused frown. When I pointed at my belly and tilted my head towards Karina, Anzide shrugged.

"You're so useful."

"Or perhaps I like to annoy you. Makes life interesting. Go ahead. She's going to find out soon enough."

"Find out what?"

"There's a reason I throw up after the adrenaline spikes."

Karina looked between us, silent as the thoughts ticked through her head. Then came a whopping big grin.

"You are not serious."

"We are."

"You're pregnant?"

"It's true."

"Oh my god," she squealed, thoroughly happy as she hugged us.

Yep, poor old Zeed was dragged in with an arm around his neck. I didn't escape either. Karina's hugs were a little wild and crazy.

"That is so awesome. What do the oldies think of that?"

"Happy and not impressed."

Entering the back area, I saw empty chairs and family waiting for us to sit down.

"We were just discussing Audrey's visit. Please, sit and join us." Niko said. "In particular, Carsten told us that Audrey heard them talking about the Europeans."

"She has no idea what they're talking about."

"What Kannon would have been referring to was the fact that Drakkus killed Jessica, and Audrey is a witness. If the Europeans come through here, they will scrutinize everyone associated with any vampire in this town. There was a rumor floating around a number of years ago that they had an Eternal of some form working for them. If it is true, then this would allow them to enter the minds of anyone who crosses their path. They might speak with Audrey, but if they can read minds, then there is no need to. The Eternal would see everything. Of course, Kannon wasn't thinking like that if he'd suggested that Drakkus bribed Audrey with the car. I think that in this instance, Kannon is trying to stop Audrey from telling you. Without him in the school every day, he has no control over who Audrey interacts with. Kannon probably thinks that it's only a matter of time before the walls come down, more so because of Anzide's abilities."

"I won't wipe her memories until it is confirmed if they are coming or not." Carsten offered. "Though she may need to return if the dampening spell doesn't stick. I had to keep it low to avoid anyone noticing. Make no mistake, Drakkus and Kannon will be watching her over the coming days. Audrey needs to struggle with the memories and what happened today. She can't be perky and act as if nothing happened. They will suspect."

Niko handed me a notebook, giving me a firm look.

"Enough of this subject for now. It is important that you start learning what is necessary to complete the future. Read these passages, and memorize them, but do not say them out loud. These are the statements that you must make when the time is right. The first is your charges against Drakkus, then the Lothaire family, then your abdication and passing of the rule to me. If you say the first two out loud, nothing will happen, but the third will alter our status."

Flicking open the cover, I read the first page, which was the charge against Drakkus. Now that we had evidence, we could move forward on this being done correctly.

"We will practice the trial as much as we can. As it won't affect anything, we can keep going until you know it without any problems. A timeline will need to be created so that everyone knows their place and what they need to do."