Chapter 33

I stepped back, shaking my head.

"No."

Belial's lips pressed tight with a forced smile. He took a step forward, moving closer to me.

"I had a lot of hope that you would agree to this, Evelyn. Are you sure that you won't change your mind? Maybe there's something that I could give you in exchange."

At best, he was a demon. I didn't dare consider the worst of the possibilities. Belial was determined to get me to agree to this, which left only a few candidates. Or one.

"There is nothing that you can offer me."

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. If that is what you truly think, then perhaps we should flip it. What can I take from you?"

Belial took a step forward when I moved back. The door to the endless white was behind me. I could escape through it, but what then?

"The family you're creating on Earth, maybe the lover in your bed or perhaps what is growing in your womb."

"You cannot take from me."

Belial laughed. As he threw his head back with the taunt, I used his distraction to my advantage. Turning, I raced to the door. My hand pressed against it, pushing the wood. I could feel Belial dragging me back. The laughter had stopped, replaced with a growl of anger.

Facing Belial, my eyes widened at the sight. The veins had reached his jawline. He was still the epitome of male beauty, but the veins were freaky. My back hit the wall and I gasped. Fear hit an all-time high, and as my hands raised to the advancing monster, I unleashed a spell.

Red flames barreled towards Belial, engulfing him. Pushing through the door, I ran out into the white. Hearing my name whispered, I turned around to see Sharma near the door frame on the outside of it. She urged me over, still with fear in her eyes.

"Hurry now,"

We were behind the door but not in the building. It seemed incomprehensible.

"Why did you risk the note?"

"Because you are so young and innocent."

She took my hand, putting a locket into it. With a pained smile, she looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

"There is no escape once you agree. Run while you can. Stay out of the land of the outcasts and fight to gain land with the Eternals. Keep Anzide by your side forever."

"Who are you?"

"Just someone who understands that love has no boundaries."

Her hand reached out, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

"I'm so glad he found you."

I was about to question why she wanted Belial to find me and why it made her happy, but then it hit me like a wrecking ball.

"Oh my god. You're Anzide's mother."

Everything began to shake as an angry roar echoed. The white land started to crack. Sharma's eyes widened. Large gray wings emerged as she grabbed hold of me. The door was swatted away, and Belial, who was now twice the size he was previously, turned and saw us.

His hands parted, forcing Sharma to let go of me. She was thrown into the distance, and I began to fall. I screamed as I plunged into the darkness, only to drop onto something bouncy. The inky black snapped away and I saw the bland tiles of the portal.

As I was lowered to the floor, I saw the ceiling of the portal was still broken apart. Scrambling back, I realized I was not alone. Mother stepped out, her hands raised above her lowered head. Others joined her to keep Belial from entering the portal.