Chapter 41

In front of me were three men who stared like I'd lost the plot. I was holding out three straws that were numbered one to three. All they had to do was pick a straw, and it was their placement in the order.

"If I can interject," Niko began.

"No." I interrupted. "I refuse to decide because you all hold equal value to me."

"I was going to say that I will start, so give me the straw with number one on it."

Beatrice smiled as I huffed and pulled out the straw.

"Fine."

"I will also dictate my placement," Carsten offered. "Because we know who should take the final leg of the journey."

He held out his hand with a supreme smile on his face. Taking the straw, he proudly poked it into the pocket of his jacket and turned it so that the number two was showing.

"I understand, Evelyn. If you'd asked each of us for our opinions, we would have all said that Brad should do it. However, I also understand your reasoning for asking all of us. I am honored to be included and will graciously accept the second portion of the walk."

Gripping the arms of the chair, I slowly lowered myself into it, amusing everyone at the table.

"Yeah, you're all laughing, but this is your warning that I'm putting all of you on notice. Babysitting duties will be handed out on a regular basis. Get your sleep while you can. I know I will be."

They all had their little chuckle, and even though I was tired and out of breath, I smiled.

"So, how was Galeth?"

"Incredibly annoyed because he finds it frustrating to deal with someone that knows the ins and outs of our world. Usually, when an offer is made, they're dealing with a novice who has no idea what to do or ask for. Like many in the Hallowed Halls, the hierarchy is full of contradictions and confusion. As for your offer, they have agreed to the terms, including the additions that I made."

That was a little startling, and I didn't expect that they'd agree so quickly.

"Although, he balked at the list I handed to him. With a little reminder of the rules and the past, he relented."

"What past?"

Carsten's smugness stilled as his attention turned to me. With a grimace, he shrugged.

"Belial. That whole debacle could have been prevented if they'd listened to Mother. She could feel your power growing and warned them that they needed to protect you. They ignored her and chose to focus on the negative side of the situation. That's the reason that I shadowed you in the portal."

At the moment, I was grateful that Anzide was sleeping in the caravan. He was powering down for a couple of hours so that he could continue his nightly ritual of watching over the property and its occupants. With Carsten here to monitor the area, Anzide was able to rest without worrying about what was going on. He had earplugs in to drown out the sounds of everyone talking. I would have preferred to move away from the caravan, but Niko rarely ventured beyond the wall.

"It's the past, and we can move on from it."

"Of course. Galeth was reminded and agreed. The great hall will be available for you and Anzide to use for the service, although I don't know who will perform it. Have you considered that?"

"You don't have priests?"

"No."

"I have a thought, though it comes with an issue attached to it." Niko began. "Wicca is, in some circles, seen as a religion. If the mother of our werewolf friend is so inclined, she could perform the service. The issue is that she would be exposed to all the problems that come with a witch walking into the land of the Eternals."