Chapter 39

I stared in silent shock. I couldn't even say if it was better or worse that Anzide reached into his pocket and pulled out a little box.

"I don't have any expectations, but I thought you might."

"It concerns me that there are external sources that are forcing you to do this."

"I'm not being forced into anything. It can be suggested until the world ends. If I'm not ready, then I'm not going to take this path or any other. This is where I am and it is true that it was suggested but I am not opposed to the idea and think that it would be a fun thing to do. I would like your thoughts on it though as it is a foreign concept to me. And obviously, your response, which you don't have to say yes."

Anzide continued to grin at me like he knew how painful this was.

"I will tell you what I see from my point of view and from what I know. Us Eternals, we don't have wedding services. Most of us aren't even allowed to form relationships, but if the rumors are true, that will be changing as well. Apparently, someone has shown them how amazing a hybrid can be."

A wicked smile filled his face.

"And, of course, there's you."

"You're a monster."

"I know. So, if we form a partnership, it is obvious to everyone around us. We are considered a couple, and in an odd way, it is our own peculiar version of marriage. However, you have not been raised in that world. You've grown up where marriages begin with a wedding."

The server was making his way to us with our drinks. I moved and looked up, hoping Anzide would realize. He turned and leaned back on his seat, taking the box with him. When the server left, Anzide put the box back on the table and pushed it towards me.

"I've been told that it is common when people are growing up to dream of grand and romantic proposals with fairytale weddings. They actually argued about it. Niko said that it was romantic to get down on one knee, while Brad said that you'd be mortified, warning me against it. Brad said that your childhood probably didn't have much space for flights of fancy but that doesn't mean that you don't want something."

Yeah, Brad was right. Technically, Niko was too, but I wasn't the kind of girl that welcomed attention like that.

"Please don't get down on one knee," I whispered.

Anzide grinned as he leaned his head on one hand. The box sat between us, and I could feel my body tighten when I thought of reaching out to take it.

"You haven't opened it. For all you know, it could be a pair of earrings."

"But given the conversation so far,"

"Yeah. So, if you accept, then you'll have Niko breathing down your neck about it. He suggested sooner rather than later considering that you're already showing. It was also said that a church service is acceptable but does not know what denominations are currently in this town. I asked if something could be done in the portal, to which your father said that anything is possible. That's the reason we were kicked out before Galeth returned. Your father is going to add it as an optional item on your list, pending your acceptance and thoughts."

I don't know why I was so apprehensive. It's not as if I didn't want to spend my entire life with Anzide. We were about to have twins. We're in the process of buying a house. What made this so difficult?

"You know that I love you, right?"

Looking up, I nodded.

"Probably since the moment you walked into the room. I struggled between doing what was expected of me, what was right, and what I wanted while not knowing what to do or how to fix the mess that I'd created. Every time I opened my mouth, I made it worse. It didn't help that in the beginning, everyone thought that you were an immortal which meant that we couldn't be together. Then everything changed. You opened a door and I could fix the mistakes by walking through it. I still make mistakes and I probably will for a long time. It comes with being a newborn Nephilim."