Chapter 1

I will admit that I am not observant. It's a fault, that is absolutely certain. In this instance, though, it was nothing detrimental. Just a glaring hint about the demon headmaster who had named the football team Hades Demons.

I'd also not noticed that the team tryouts had taken place in the sports field mere steps away from the side doors I use daily. I missed the cheerleader tryout flyers pinned to every noticeboard, but that could have been my mind trying to save me from the horror of it all.

Packing my books, I tried not to groan or roll my eyes. It had been done by the other students, and our teacher had dismissed their distaste with a simple statement that her words were not a suggestion. We were having a study session in the great outdoors while supporting the team, who were having their last training session.

I looked at Anzide, my silent and hidden protector, an outcast Nephilim who was always by my side when I was outside of the protection of my home. He smirked and said nothing.

The enemy Drakkus, a psychotic vampire that wanted to claim the rule of the vampires from me, hadn't made an attempt on my life yet, but I figured it would happen soon. I just couldn't wait.

"Evie,"

Mrs Winslow gestured to come over to her. Lifting my bag over my shoulder, I approached her desk and offered an uneasy smile. She rarely called upon me, but when she did, it was usually only to check I was still awake.

"Mr Harlwood has just sent a message that we have a new student. Would you please go to the office and collect the student and bring them to the field?"

"Sure."

When I looked at Anzide, he gave me a shrug and followed me through the open door.

"Why would they send the new student to bring the newer student to the field that only the jocks and the cashmere brigade know where it is?"

He chuckled.

"Because James knows you so well."

Yeah, James Harlwood, headmaster of the only high school in Hades and a demon. At least he was on my side.

As we turned the corner into the main corridor, I almost barreled into Kannon. My ex-boyfriend, the vampire that was a member of Drakkus's coven, and my secret nemesis, who was completely unaware of how much I knew. It was always an exceptional moment in my day when we crossed paths and was about as entertaining as watching the grass grow.

"Evie," he said eagerly. "Are you going to the game tonight?"

"There's another tonight?" I said, perhaps sounding a little too snarky.

"Yeah, they happen regularly when we get into football season."

"Then what's the nonsense I'm being made to sit through today?"

"Practice."

I rolled my eyes, which seemed to amuse Kannon.

"I made the team."

Well, that explains the uniform. Did he really need to tell me when it was obvious? I guess so.

"Good for you. It's a little surprising that your owner is allowing you to take part outside of his little clique."

"Evie," he chided.

"Got any idea of when the meathead is coming for me?"

Kannon shook his head.

"Useful as always. Good luck tonight."

Moving around him, I kept a straight path while wondering if Anzide had done anything to antagonize Kannon. It was guaranteed that he would have made himself appear to Kannon while remaining hidden from everyone else. It didn't matter, anyway. Kannon would know that Anzide was always around to protect me.