Chapter 21

We decided on a little tour of Hades after school that wasn't really a tour. The idea had been there, but we felt hungry so our little group went to the local diner and that's where we stayed.

It was almost like a get to know each other situation, and it could be considered a double date because other than Anzide and myself, it was just Karina and Cooper. Almost. For Anzide and myself, it was definitely a date because any time away from the property was a date for us. As for Karina and CJ, it was debatable. Karina's cheeks would turn rosy red if I said something about it being a date. I'd be quietly scolded but underneath it all, there would be the sweetest smile that spoke the truth.

Karina was seated next to CJ at the table, quiet and unassuming. With only two long bench seats, she had no choice. Also, she'd sat down first, which meant that she was against the wall. I guess Karina might have assumed that I'd sit next to her, but she was wrong. I was playing cupid.

I ordered a milkshake, hoping that the cold milk would offer a little respite to the soreness around my throat. Turning to Anzide, I gestured to my neck.

"Is it bruising?"

"No bruises as such but a bit of redness. Give it time. The skin is just irritated."

We had time because I was in no hurry to leave. Walking into this place was easy, but leaving was not. The problem was that this was the diner that Drakkus used when he was watching what happened at the school. To the uninformed observer, he appeared to be a pervert but to those of us in the know, we knew exactly why he was at this diner.

As for him being a problem, it was because he'd decided to sit in his usual spot to conduct his daily observations. He was out there, right now. I quietly sipped my milkshake, watching him. It was obvious that he didn't know that we were in there. This place offered table service, so as soon as he sat down, someone was out the door to take his order.

Technically, we should have still been at the school, but I only had two lessons today. Karina and Cooper were let out early because the teacher that they had for the first lesson was also the one they had for their last. She was sick, and James could not find a replacement in time. So, they were out of school ahead of schedule.

To get out of the diner, we had to leave through the front door. Drakkus was at the first table, and there was no way that we could sneak past. Anzide could help by making us disappear, but the people in the diner would see us and then not see us which I knew would create a lot of issues.

We were sitting in the booth, trying to figure out how we would get out or whether it was just easier to sit and wait for Drakkus to leave when I saw my father. Drakkus looked at him but said nothing. There was a mighty frown on his face, probably trying to figure out the new guy in town. He was something, but what? Will Drakkus ever figure it out? Probably because I was going to eat humble pie and ask my father for help.

"Come on."

Emerging from the booth, we moved quickly to the door. Drakkus saw me, and instantly, his body went rigid. I opened the door and smiled at Carsten.

"Hey. We need your help."

"Of course, Evelyn. What's the problem?"

"Tell you later. Be ready for anything, though."

Carsten held open the door to let everyone out. As we walked away, I looked back and saw that Drakkus was standing next to the table. He watched us, and I knew that I'd just made him curious.

"Alright, now that we're away from the big, bad vampire, how about you tell me what's going on?"

"You knew he was a vampire?" Karina asked.