FOURTEEN: Gift Of The Night

============================

The morning light filtered through the gauzy curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. You stirred, a dull ache pulsating through your limbs as you shifted in the medical bed. With a groan, you sat up, the events of the previous day's trials rushing back to you. The second phase of the royal assassin's tournament had pushed you to your limits, but you had prevailed.

You swung your legs over the side of the bed, wincing as your muscles protested. "Just a few more phases," you murmured to yourself, the thought of victory fueling your resolve. You dressed methodically, choosing garments that were easy to move in, yet suitable for a potential encounter with Del Valeor's elite.

As you pulled the hood of your (f/c) assassin cloak above your head, a soft fluttering sound caught your attention. Turning around, your eyes widened in wonder as a golden envelope, edged with intricate runes, hovered before you. Magic was a rare sight in Las Ventas and Ervansia, but here in Del Valeor, it thrived like wildflowers in spring.

The envelope opened with a flourish, and a voice, clear and resonant, emanated from within. "*(Y/N) (L/N)*," it began, the words wrapping around you like a warm breeze, "congratulations for passing the second phase of the royal assassin's tournament. You and the other 59 candidates will now proceed to the third phase: the hunt."

You listened, a mix of excitement and trepidation bubbling within you. "But before that, you are given a week to rest up and prepare. During the week, you can explore Del Valeor and gain magical items, magical creatures, or enhance your magical abilities. These components are allowed during the hunt. I wish you good luck and I hope you rest up!"

As the message concluded, the envelope sealed itself with a soft snap, then zipped away, disappearing through the open window. You stood for a moment, the weight of the opportunity settling on your shoulders. Then, with a determined nod, you stepped out into the bustling streets of Del Valeor.

The city was alive with the chatter of merchants and the clinking of glass vials from potion vendors. "Magical items, creatures, abilities..." you repeated to yourself, scanning the vibrant marketplace. A stall draped in azure cloths caught your eye, and you approached, greeted by the smell of ancient tomes and the sight of shimmering artifacts.

"Looking for something to give you an edge in the hunt, dear?" the merchant, a wizened woman with eyes like polished opals, inquired.

"Yes, something... unique," you replied, your gaze settling on a small, crystalline gem pulsating with a light from within.

"A wise choice," the merchant nodded, her smile revealing a row of silver teeth. "That there is the gem of Lysandria. It can reveal the unseen, a handy companion for any hunter."