TEN: Kaide Khalee Ledger

============================

In the presence of the dark and sinister figure, Kaide felt a wave of fear wash over him. The entity, seated on a magnificent throne adorned with menacing black thorns, commanded Kaide's attention. With his back turned towards Kaide, only his right hand emerged from the throne, clutching a glowing red orb. But to the entity's dismay, the orb in his possession was a mere counterfeit. Anger surged through him, knowing that his most trusted assassin had been deceived into acquiring the wrong orb.

Trembling with fear, Kaide's heart raced uncontrollably, his palms becoming moist with sweat. Swallowing hard, he mustered whatever courage he had left to speak.

"I-I don't know, my lord," Kaide stammered, berating himself internally for displaying his weakness.

"What do you mean you don't know?" the entity retorted in a dark tone, crushing the orb in his hand. Kaide felt a sudden constriction in his throat, as if the entity's powers were choking the life out of him. Blood trickled from his mouth, staining his pristine green royal cloak. Helplessly, Kaide's hands instinctively reached for his neck, as if trying to alleviate the pressure. "Since you have always been loyal to me, Kaide, I will give you another chance. Tell me, where is the real orb?"

"I-in N-Ne-nevadas," Kaide struggled to speak, feeling his organs revolt within him. Thankfully, the entity decided to show him some mercy. Releasing his grip, the entity relinquished the force that was choking Kaide. Collapsing to the ground, Kaide gasped for air, his body trembling. His mouth tasted of iron, and his hair and clothes were stained with his own fresh blood. He silently swore that if Lord Tazarelleo hadn't shown mercy when he did, he would surely have perished.

"Get up," Tazarelleo commanded. Despite his weakened state, Kaide mustered the strength to stand, albeit with a noticeable limp. "Kaide, you have never failed me before. But this time, you have failed twice."

"I can assure you, my lord, I have only failed once," Kaide responded, shocked by his lord's perplexing statement.

"Oh no, Kaide, you have failed," Tazarelleo pressed further. "He is alive, and I know it."

In that moment, Kaide froze. How did Lord Tazarelleo know that he had failed to eliminate his target? How did he know that the man was still breathing, defying death once again?

"If you are referring to Lore-"

"Silence!" Tazarelleo raised a commanding hand. "I do not wish to hear his name." Kaide lowered his head, clenching his fists behind his back, hidden from his lord's sight. "This is your last chance. Retrieve that orb for me, or I will kill your friends, Geron and Jeo, along with you. You have one week."

"Of course, my Lord," Kaide weakly replied before exiting the royal chambers and making his way back to the assassins' hideout. Along the journey, he struggled to contain his seething anger, lashing out by punching walls, leaving his hands bloody and dripping.

Slamming the door behind him, Kaide discarded his cloak, wincing as a sharp pain shot through his throat, a reminder of Lord Tazarelleo's merciless grip. He cursed under his breath and collapsed onto his bed, trying to ignore the bloodstains on his sheets.