Chapter 31

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

Baby, come here and I'll make you see
Take you to a place where we can be free
Boy, you put me on fire
Come on, baby, take me higher
And fulfill my desire
Don't talk, just give it a try

- Kiss (Never Let Me Go) by Thyro & Yumi

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

March 20, 1983

As the royal aircraft landed at Alice Springs Airport, the vast expanse of the Australian outback stretched out before them. Charles and Diana emerged with William, now 10-month-old, nestled in her arms.

The royal couple was greeted by a warm welcome from the crowd, the air filled with the sound of cheers and applause. Despite the long travel, Charles and Diana were eager to begin their six-week tour of Australia.

Charles and Diana smiled and waved graciously to the people gathered to catch a glimpse of them, basking in the overwhelming warmth of their welcome.

Charles couldn't help but feel a sense of awe at the outpouring of affection directed not just at his wife, but at him as well. In the past, Diana had often been the focal point of attention, her natural charisma and charm captivating crowds wherever they went, disregarding his presence as a result. And while Charles had always been grateful for her ability to connect with people, he had sometimes felt overshadowed by her magnetic presence.

But as he looked out at the faces before him, Charles realized that he, too, held a special place in the hearts of the people. The cheers and applause that greeted him were genuine and heartfelt, evidence of the deep respect and admiration they held for their future king.

Feeling a surge of confidence, Charles stepped forward to greet the crowd, his smile genuine and his demeanor gracious. He shook hands, exchanged pleasantries, and accepted the warm embraces of those who approached him, feeling a sense of validation and acceptance that he had not always experienced in the past.

"You seem to be enjoying the attention a bit too much, Your Royal Highness." Diana mused. Charles chuckled softly at Diana's playful teasing, eyes sparkling with amusement.

"What if indeed," he replied, tone light and jovial. "Perhaps I'm just appreciating being in the spotlight."

"Well, you certainly seem to be embracing it," she remarked, her eyes twinkling with affection.

"Who knew you had such a talent for charming the crowds?" Diana grinned, her playful behavior reflecting his. Charles shrugged with a mock air of nonchalance, a hint of mischief dancing in his gaze.

"I suppose things have happened," he remarks, earning a soft laugh from Diana. His eyes met her own, sharing a smile.

"I'm only enjoying this because you do as well, Darling." Diana's smile softened at Charles' words. Looking into his eyes, Diana felt a surge of love for the man beside her, a man who had stood by her through thick and thin, relieved upon knowing that he was there to share both in triumphs and loses.

With a gentle squeeze of his hand, Diana leaned in closer, her heart overflowing with love for the man who had captured her heart so completely.

"We truly make a formidable team," she whispered. Eyes glinting with affection.

"Perhaps we do, indeed."

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════