Chapter 11

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Put your head on my shoulder
Whisper in my ear, baby
Words I want to hear, tell me
Tell me that you love me too"

- Put Your Head on my Shoulders by Paul Anka

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

July 1980

After the death of his great-uncle, Charles immediately thought about purchasing his past royal family home, the Highgrove House. The same house that has witnessed the growth of their marriage, and its downfall all the same. The house where both their boys, William and Harry, were raised.

Charles had grown an immense attachment towards the house. It had heard laughs, as well as tears. Laughs for when Diana cracks up a joke, throwing them into a fit of laughter, and tears for when he decided to seek Camilla, the woman he was head over heels for in their past lives. And although it was nice falling in the comfort of familiarity, it didn't feel right being with Camilla at all.

Charles thought about buying the house with Diana in mind. When he told her about his plan, Diana became livid and didn't want to talk to him.

She loves him, she really does. But that house did nothing but torment her all her life, it had brought her nothing but agony. Diana didn't want to be reminded how lonely she was.

So, with a heavy heart, Charles dismissed the idea. He had spoken the truth when he told Diana he would do anything for her. Giving up his favorite house, included.

It was a cold evening. The rain pounded down, each drop a small stone, piercing cold as it clatters throughout the window pane. The wind slowly swayed the pastel-colored curtains, bitter and cruel as it collided against her flushed cheeks.

Diana and Charles were visiting Althorp when the strong rain made itself present. When it was made clear that it wasn't going away very soon, they decided to stay the night. What they did not know prior to visiting was that her father being out of town whilst her sisters and brother were in their boarding schools respectively. As a result, Diana and Charles practically had the whole mansion to themselves, the rain being their only company.

Some might despise the rain for it brings inconvenience. Some might love it for they find solace in it. At present, two people are peacefully relishing each other's warmth as they cuddle under a comfy blanket, warming each other's bodies throughout the coldness of the weather. Charles pulls Diana closer to his chest, feeling her heartbeat slowly accelerate.

Diana was falling for him every second they spent together.

Diana snuggled closer to Charles' warm body, the heat emitting from his body temperature. She felt one of his hands on her shoulder and the other placed on her lower back, pulling her even tighter into a long and affectionate embrace.

His eyes met hers, a yearning expression visible on his face.

Charles took a deep breath while softly caressing his lover's hair. Moments like this are rare especially for Charles and Diana, seeing that both of them are busy with their respective jobs. Charles has royal duties, and Diana being a kindergarten teacher.

It wasn't like being busy was the only thing that kept them apart. Two years have passed and to their surprise, the media still hasn't gotten a word about their growing relationship.

Same as what happened in the past, both Charles and Diana were invited by a mutual friend, Philip de Pass, as guests in his home in Sussex.

"Do you think arriving together would raise suspicion?" asks Diana.