Special Chapter: A Trip Down the Memory Lane

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Once upon a time I was falling in love
Now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart"

- Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

She tries screaming, begging for help but no matter how she tries to persist, her words fail to come out of her mouth— now brimming with her own blood.

It was impossible; she couldn't utter a sound.

Diana felt her eyes close— slowly giving herself away to the darkness.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

She wakes. Her eyes— albeit weak, drowsy, and on the verge of closing again, scanned her surroundings.

"My God, what's happened?" her voice was so faint that the man struggled to make out of it.

Oh.

They crashed.

Flashes appeared from every angle, clearly not intending to leave her alone— even in her last moments, taking pleasure in seeing her at her worst.

She was in so much pain and yet, she felt numb. Was it even possible to feel everything and nothing simultaneously? Diana knew she had lost her ability to control her movements long ago, still, she made an attempt to move. She had to! She needs to!

Suddenly, she felt waves of deep, throbbing pain mixed with sharp, stabbing agony. The excruciating pain was piercing through her soul. Every heartbeat sent a surge of pain, it was as if her chest were being torn apart.

'I can't die... not like this.' she says at the back of her head. She thought of her family, her sisters and brother, her papa, her children; William and Harry. They'd be devastated, she couldn't bear giving them any more pain. Her ears rang, overwhelmed with the agonizing fiery pain she tried so hard to ignore.

She wanted to live.

Then, she thought of Charles. Surely, it would've been easier for them with her out of the picture.

As her vision faded, she recalled a memory, a glimpse of their most recent interaction. It was of no importance, but any moment with Charles is something she holds dearly to her heart.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Everything alright?" he asks, eyes filled with worry that it almost got into her. She eyes him, nodding while doing so.

Diana leans to get a glimpse of William and Harry inside the car, "They can't wait to get rid of me." she says whilst stealing a glance at the man in front of her.

"Give it a couple of days, they'll be dying to see you again."

A small pause.

"Have you got exciting plans for the summer?" Charles asks, breaking the silence between the two of them. She merely hums in agreement as a response.

"I heard Bosnia," Diana beams at him. "Is it the land mines charity? Good for you." Charles gave her a genuine smile to which she returned.

"So proud of you." Diana's eyes softened, her heart beating loudly against her chest— almost as if it was going to burst out any second.