Chapter 13

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

I can see it in your eyes that you despise
The same old lies you heard the night before
And though it's just a line to you for me it's true
And never seemed so right before

- Something Stupid by Frank Sinatra

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Charles." Camilla gritted her teeth whilst the corner of his mouth lifted in victory.

"You haven't returned my calls." She continues.

"Am I obligated to do so?" Charles retorted back. Eyes glinting with mirth.

"It's been a year... no, two years, Charles! You've never gotten any longer than that before. Tom misses you, Charles... I missed you." Camilla tried walking towards him, but out of respect, she refrained from doing so.

"Perhaps. But circumstances change over time. I no longer need you or your pathetic little excuses. I shall see to it that I'll spend time with my Godson without having to interact with his mother." Charles shoots her a displeased look, as if he is horrified by her presence, and carries on with his tasks. He heard the woman scoff in annoyance before speaking.

"And you're gonna toss away all the years we've been together, just like that?"

"Yes, now if you do not have any more business that would be beneficial to the country, you may take your leave." he dismissed her, fingers pointing at the door behind Camilla without even looking at the woman.

Charles didn't see how her face filled with rage, how her eyebrow creased, or how her hands shook violently as she clenched her fist, almost drawing blood.

What he did see was her retreating figure. Her heels stomping on the floor aggressively, an action that was so unlike Diana who walks like how you would while your parents are asleep and you want to grab cookies from the kitchen. Charles saw how she opened the door and slammed it shut as she walked away.

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"You never told me how things were in your... time." It was weird, talking about their past as if it was as simple as asking about the weather. Diana is certain that if there was a single person who somehow managed to overhear their conversation, it wouldn't make sense at all.

Fortunately, it was only the two of them in the car. She was sitting in the passenger seat whilst Charles was steering the car wheel with both hands.

"Well, William got married to a woman named Catherine, and so did Harry and his bride Meghan. Both of them are just wonderful and gave us grandchildren! William had three children before my passing. George, his firstborn, was born to be king. Assertive, self-assured, and knows what he wants. He doesn't hold back from speaking his mind."

"Seems like he had taken after his Grandpa." Diana shot him a taunting look and he chuckled in response. His chuckle was light, and laced with a hum of amusement at the comment.

"Charlotte had the attitude of her Granny Diana, even at a young age. Initially shy, but once more comfortable, she is jovial and cheerful and just wonderful. That said, she's also quite known for her feisty personality."

"Oh, am I like that?" Charles pretended not to hear her question and continued,

"Their last child, Louis, was still a babe when I passed, so is Harry's Archie." From that point, Charles narrated every event, glancing at her from time to time. The stories earned a few giggles from both Diana and him.