Chapter 14

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"If the road ahead is not so easy
Our love will lead the way for us
Like a guiding star
I'll be there for you if you should need me
You don't have to change a thing
I love you just the way you are

So come with me and share the view
I'll help you see forever too
Hold me now, touch me now
I don't want to live without you"

- Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You by George Benson

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

Before Diana could even take a single step, she felt her wrist being grabbed from behind making her body turn. Just as she was about to protest, she found her body being tugged forward by him. Charles was firm and gentle as he pulled her in, and he made it clear that he wasn't planning on letting her go any time soon.

"What are you doing?" She asks, her whole body now pressed against his torso. Charles decides to ignore her question, instead, he runs his fingertips up against her forearm, leaving a trail of goosebumps, awakening her innermost desires.

Diana tried not to think about his hard chest— how it rises and falls simultaneously with her breathing. Or how his face was so, so close to hers, she could just easily snake her arms in his neck, knot her fingers in his hair, connect their lips, and melt against his body. Diana would have fallen then, had he not been there to hold her.

Diana felt his heart pounding against her ribs as if he, too, was enduring the same dilemma she was in.

"Let's talk." His eyes pleadingly gazed upon hers, but Diana looked him dead in the eye.

She tried not to think about how enticing he smelled. She can only pray that he'll perceive the beads of sweat rolling down her temples as evidence of her apprehension of their 'talk' rather than her increasing libido.

"There's nothing to talk about, Charles." She responds firmly. Sure, she was guilty of fantasizing about him just a second ago, but she was still so not over about him not saying a word about Camilla being in his office the day before.

Charles sighs, his gaze softening. "I'm sorry," he says, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. "Keeping it a secret wasn't something I had in mind. I was going to tell you eventually; I simply didn't want to spoil our trip. However, it appears that I had done so already." Diana was flabbergasted, stiffening in his embrace. Charles seemed to notice this as she felt him tightening his hold on her.

"Nothing happened, I dismissed her the second she stepped inside my office." Diana felt her own heart racing recklessly at his words. She needs to say something, anything! However, the lump in her throat prevented her. Her eyes watered, she chalked it up to a lack of oxygen rather than the crushing anguish in her chest.

Diana didn't want to fight. She didn't want to doubt his feelings for her, above all. But the minute she heard about the woman in his office, Diana listened in growing terror.

Diana felt like she had been transported back in time to when she saw his drawing of a bracelet with an "F" and "G" inscribed as his alleged "farewell gift" for Camilla.

"The gift was not for Camilla. It was for a woman I've previously been close with during my bachelor years. It was my way of thanking them before settling down with you. I should have told you." He had clarified her misinterpretation of the whole situation before, regretting only doing it now and not in their past lifetime.