Chapter 2

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how"

- Something by The Beatles

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

With a pounding heart, Charles strolled down the familiar pathway towards the Althorp House. A few housekeepers greeted him along the way to which he only returned with a curt nod. He was determined to reach Wootton Hall as quickly as he could, the same hall where he had encountered a very shy Diana in the past.

He knew he shouldn't be exhilarated by the thought of meeting her; Diana is still 17 for Christ's sake. But after not seeing her for almost 23 years, after her being taken away from them at the age of 36 after he was compelled to raise their two boys alone, he yearned for her. To see her, granted, even a glimpse of her. Although, he doesn't know whether it would be enough to satiate his longing.

The house was dead silent. He ushered his men to leave him be. They bowed and began to walk away. Charles felt his jaw clenched, his shoulders tense as he was beginning to have second thoughts.

'Does she remember me as well? If she does, would she be as thrilled as I would be? Having second chances, having to start over again.' He highly doubts that and if she does remember everything, would she be willing to take him again?

Relaxing his body, Charles let out a sigh before opening the double doors in front of him.

Empty.

Dead silence.

Charles lingered for a moment with the intention of waiting for Diana to show up. However, a few minutes passed and she did not. His heart was racing, both from excitement and fear.

Just as he was about to doubt the certainty of his dreams, a small squeak just a few meters away caught his attention.

He remembered she did, in fact, hide behind the large vase.

"Who is there?" another squeak. Charles began to stride towards the human-sized vase when a voice stopped his tracks.

"No!"

"No?" he exclaimed with a chuckle.

"I mean... No... I'm sorry. I'm not here." the girl replied and began to reveal herself. "Your royal highness." while offering a small curtsy.

There she is.

Diana is wearing a costume something akin to a tree. It was for a performance, he assumed.

"I have been given strict instructions to remain out of sight. But I just have to get to that room over there," she said while pointing to the stairs behind him. "And this is the only way." He knows, what Charles wanted to say but decided that by saying so, it would only raise suspicion. He does not want to come off as a borderline creep. That is the last thing he wanted her to think of him.

Instead, letting out a hearty chuckle, he replied, "Well, I haven't seen a thing." just like he did the last time. With this, the girl's face lit up, obviously looking pleased with his reply.

"Thank you, sir." Charles knew he was visibly staring; he couldn't help it. Diana was agitated, not knowing what to do and the Prince of Wales staring at her made it even more difficult to think coherently. Shaking, she offered another curtsy one more time and tiptoed her way towards the vase just beside the one she stood at.