Chapter 35

POV: Charles

Max and I are just laying in bed, simply happy to be close to each other. I'm feeling much better after today, I feel like I've kind of regained his trust and I know I will never betray him again. He wouldn't forgive me twice, and I wouldn't either to be honest.

The night goes by in an instant, both of us cuddling and sleeping peacefully. When the sun starts shining through the curtains, I wake up complaining a little, needing a bit more sleep to feel entirely refreshed.

— Good morning too, lovely, I hear Max say to me, the smile in his voice telling me that he is more awake than me.

— Mhpfff, I groan, turning on my side to face the angelical expression of my boyfriend, my eyes still trying to accommodate to the bright light.

— Not really a morning person, are you? He chuckles, and I throw a pillow to his head in annoyance. Okay okay, got it, I'll let the princess get her beauty sleep! Don't come after me for not spending time with you afterwards then!

I feel my mind clearing instantly as he says that, and sit up straight immediately. I definitely want to spend time with him, and would trade sleep for that anytime.

— Okay, okay, you win, let's get up then, I still grumble, unhappy having to get out of the very comfortable bed.

We both get dressed, wash our teeth, not talking so much during these first minutes. Then, I prepare the breakfast, whereas Max makes the conversation, already happy to the idea of going back racing next week.

— [...] and then, I'm gonna win!

— Yeah sure, I answer distractively, trying to not spill the coffee mug I have in my hands.

— You don't sound too convinced, could it be that you are planning on winning too by any chance? I can hear the smirky tone of his voice, but don't register quite yet the meaning of his words.

— What? I place the cups down, Of course I wanna win! I finally react, quite offended by the question.

— Ahah, if only you could see your face, he starts laughing, and I relax instantly.

— Mhh, wasn't funny, you know all the difficulties... What if the gearbox fails again?

He shakes his head, an air of pity now displayed on his face. I don't really like this, I don't like pretending everything is fine when I haven't won a race in the past two years. The last time I was on the highest step of the podium was in Monza 2019, and as much as it was a beautiful win, it's starting to feel a bit long. Max has had what, 5 wins since then? And maybe we have different cars and teams, but I still can't stop comparing myself to him.

— It's not going to, have a little faith! I know it's hard sometimes, but the best is to come yeah?

He tries to comfort me, but I have a strange feeling that they are just meaningless words and that the reality will be maybe even worse... But I'm in Ferrari, come on!

— Mh, we'll see. At least I intend to take pole position, something I'm still better than you at! I proudly show off, trying to balance our conversation.

— Yeah, how many have you got again?

— Eight I think? With last week's, even though it didn't go exactly as planned, I smile through the pain of remembering the disaster that Monaco has been, once again.

— That's double as me, see? I don't know how much we can compare anyways, cause of the cars and everything but yeah. And you've got like 3 years less in F1 than me too, that's a lot!