Chapter 5

Warning! Explicit content ahead

************************************************************

POV: Charles

On the phone

— You okay Charles? I recognise the Dutch driver and hear a hint of worry in his voice

— Yeah thanks, you mean because of the crash? I just bumped into the wall, you know, like you did before! I try to lighten the mood, teasing him

— You sure? It's just that... I don't know, forget it, it's silly.

Now intrigued, I feel the warm and fuzzy feeling again, noticing that he is in fact actually concerned for me, and didn't even crack a joke about me maybe giving him pole, if I couldn't race. His behaviour is definitely starting to concern me.

— Yeah mate! Thanks for your concern but I'm fine, ready to win, alright? I say in a tone I didn't want so harsh, but definitely comes out a bit rude.

I can almost sense him tensing on the other end of the phone, and I sigh, knowing that my reaction wasn't exactly the most appropriate one with him.

— Well in that case, I have nothing more to say Charles-

— Wait! I almost yell

— What? He says in an angry tone that gives me shivers

— Sorry for talking to you that way, I say swallowing my pride with difficulty, I'm just really tired and you know I snap easily when that's the case. Plus, it was really sweet from you to actually care about me, because no one else did, to be honest...

— Not even your teammate? Your team? He sounds utterly revolted and quite shocked

— Well... as far as I remember no... more about the car... I mumble

— You really shouldn't stay there mate... I think they don't care, how can they not ask? That's- Ahh... Anyway, may I ask if I interrupted you in something?

— Actually I was just playing piano, that's also the reason why I didn't hear my phone at first, and you?

— Oh nothing special, playing with my cats for a bit! I feel kinda lonely recently, don't know why.

I think about how I could have been with him at the moment, instead of being depressed alone in my big apartment, but try to stay positive, remembering that he would come here after the race.

— Yeah, same mate!

— Can we... do like a video-call or something? I want to show you what my cat is doing, it's quite funny!

His voice is calm again, a hint of happiness and pure excitement filtering through and I picture him, smiling really big and the joy simply filling his piercing blue eyes. Come on Charles, let's not get used to that much familiarity with him, he's your rival and clearly anything you might be thinking is not possible so stop dreaming.

— Yeah I don't mind!

He then quickly ends the call and I use this time to run a hand through my hair, making sure I look okay. He calls again, this time on video, and I can't help but crack a smile when I am faced with the Dutch driver. I look around him to see the cats but can't seem to find them, and just greets him normally, expecting him to talk first.

— Oh too bad, they just ran away, he sighs, looking a bit silly and desperate about the quite... rebellious behaviour of his cats.

I chuckle and suddenly get an idea.