Chapter 3

Trigger warning: homophobe speech and bad treatment from parental figure

*********************************

POV : Charles

I finish eating the meal specially prepared by my coach and decide to ask the mechanics if the car is ready to be back on track, as the time of the second practice approaches quickly.

— Ciao ragazzi, qual è la situazione?

— Va tutto bene Charles, la macchina è come nuova!

— Oh perfect then, grazie ragazzi!

And after that the second practice goes really well, as I get the fastest lap, just before my teammate, and Max, who finishes 4th. I am really happy about it, and I decide I could go talk to him and brag a little, in the same way he did to me this morning.

— Hey Max, so, I told him while filming, pretending to be an interviewer, how does it feel to be behind the great Charles Leclerc in his very own hometown, while he only had one practice here?

laughing and looking quite provocative: Well, I'd say it's an honour to be able to see the back of the Ferrari car you know, cause I'm not really used to it, so practices are always great for that, and, I think with less than 0,4 second gap I'll be back on top very quickly, he grins and winks at the camera.

— We'll see about this mister Verstappen, qualifications are what matters am I right?

— Absolutely, mister Leclerc

As we insist on each other names, I cut the video and smile. I don't know how but we spend a lot of time together nowadays and I feel more and more attracted to his personality, not understanding anymore how I could have hated him for so long.

— You know, I really thought you were mean for a looong time, Max

— Ah, really? Well to be fair I'm quite straight-forward so maybe that's why. Oh and you weren't exactly the definition of an angel for me either, he says while laughing quietly, looking lost in some memory of his. Just an "inchident" right?

— Yeah, yeah, I roll my eyes playfully. What do you think about some video games evening at my house while we're here, tonight? I have the courage to ask, suddenly feeling a bit shy and insecure.

— Erm... I mean it'd be cool but I'm not sure it would be the best idea considering we still have quali and everything tomorrow, and then the race on Sunday... But if you still want after, I promise that regardless the issue of the race I'll go to yours and we can play. What do you think?

I feel a bit sad, but after thinking it through I understand that it is, in fact, the best idea. And maybe if I win on Sunday I'll be able to rub it in his face allll night long. Oh uh... that sounds quite inappropriate, but not in that way! You perverts.

— Yeah you're probably right... Then after the race it is! I'll send you the time and location. Oh and be ready to lose cause I'm a master at video games.

— Ah! We'll see, but don't count on it too much!

And after this quite pleasant conversation we each return to our occupations, which for me consists in taking a shower. As I cross past Carlos, who has a big smile on his face, I can't help but wonder if Lando is involved in his apparent happiness, and ask him:

— Hey Carlos! What is it that makes you so happy today? I mean you had some wonderful laps right there but maybe there's something else to it?

And for the first time ever I see my Spanish friend looking down and... blushing heavily??? Oh. My. God. Is this still the Carlos Sainz I know? Because I am not used to so much shyness in him.