Chapter 13 - Friend or Foe

Monday, December 28th

Krissy

The complex was still open during the week despite it being school's holiday break. Most parents still had to work so they needed somewhere for their kids to go during the day. Leah had officially taken my spot at the complex and I was full time in my head role like Keith and I had once discussed.

Speaking of Keith, he still doesn't know that I read the letter. I've been taking time to sit with my thoughts before I decide to bring it up to him. I've been praying on the matter as well. It'll work out if it's supposed to.

"Tiana, Taylor! Are ya'll ready?" I yell walking down the steps. They were having a lot of fun with their Christmas gifts. They had gotten so many my gifts. They were dang near spoiled.

I begin to make a cup of iced coffee as I hear the two girls arguing.

"Move Taylor! You're so annoying. I wish you weren't my sister." Tiana yells.

I instantly stop what I'm doing and walk towards their room.

Taylor was sitting in the corner crying.

"Now what y'all got going on?" I ask looking between the both of them.
"Tiana hurt my feelings! She won't play with me."
"You play like a baby. That's why." Tiana rolls her eyes.

I could imagine they were probably tired of each other. They share a room and are constantly in each other's presence. They were only apart at school and the complex where they had began to make their own friends. I'd actually been saving up for a new place so they can have their own room.

Sighing, I look at them for a second before responding.

"Taylor get off the floor, hon."
"Tiana, you gotta watch your words baby. Words hurt and it's something you can't take back. Now I understand ya'll can get tired of each other or want to play with different things and that is okay. What you don't do is yell at each other about it. It's easy to get frustrated, I know. Give each other some space. You got a whole yard outside, the living room and even my room. Taylor if you ever want somebody to play with, always feel free to ask me babygirl. If either one of you guys want to invite friends from the complex or school over, just ask! I want to make you guys as comfortable as I can. But what we don't do is yell at each other. Now get your stuff together so we can go."

I walk out of the room and finish making my coffee. Kane runs past my foot.

"Hey bud. Let's take you outside for a second." I open the door to let him out before putting food and water in his bowl. He was growing so fast but we still loved him so much.

"Move!" Tiana yells.
I see the gentle parenting approach isn't working.

"Hey! Both of ya'll. Get out here now! Ya'll got two seconds to be in this living room before we're late. I don't want to hear a word from either one of y'all." I yell.

Kane comes running back inside and goes straight to his food. A few moments later the girls walk into the hallway pouting.

"Look, fix your face. I just told ya'll not to yell at each other and here ya'll go. I bet neither one of you ate either. I told you guys' to make cereal earlier. We're already late and ya'll can't seem to get along."

They have been bickering a lot lately.

Taylor began to cry again.