Chapter 15 - Trouble in Paradise

Krissy

Monday, January 3rd

It's the first day back to school for the girls after Christmas break. Working at the complex over break made me feel like I hadn't had much of a break at all. It was nice to spend time with friends and family but I was honestly exhausted. I'm not sure how I'll get through this week. This weekend I just need a mental break. Whether that was a hair appointment and pedicure or reading a book with a smoothie in hand.

My weekends felt shorter, especially with the fact the girls had so much energy.

Oh man. I completely forgot that Liam's sister's birthday party was this weekend. I got the chance to talk to Liam's mom in person at the complex. She seemed like a very sweet person. I'm considering just dropping the girls off but was that rude? Would they feel comfortable with me doing that? Maybe Keith was able to stay there with them but I didn't want to ask too much of him, I feel like he's done more than enough.

"Mama! I don't feel good. I don't wanna go to school," Taylor yells from the bottom of the stairs.

Sighing, I slide into my heels and walk downstairs into the kitchen. The girls were at the table eating cereal.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask as I began to make my daily iced coffee.
"My stomach hurts," She whines. She looked perfectly fine. I think she wanted to stay home and play with her Christmas toys. Those toys happened to be taking over the whole house. They couldn't keep a room clean for more than five minutes.

I walk over and feel her forehead.

"You don't have a fever. What'd we eat for dinner? Grilled chicken and rice. You eat that all the time and you're fine." I say.

"She's lying. She just doesn't wanna go back to school," Tiana says.
Taylor kicks her leg.

"Don't start. It's way too early. Finish your cereal and grab your things. Ya'll have twenty minutes until we leave. I don't want to hear a word from either one of ya'll."

Maybe, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Today wasn't my day, I couldn't stop focusing on the negatives. Realizing, I need to better my eating habits I decide to make myself a parfait. All of our lunches were packed so that was good. Keith also wants to take me and the girls to dinner tonight. I am very excited for that. It feels good to finally call him my man. Smiling at the thought, my phone rings. I answer without checking the caller ID.

Krissy: Hello?
Keith: Good morning mama.
Krissy: Good morning. You're up early. Do you have a meeting?
Keith: I actually am getting ready to head out soon. The guy who was supposed to go to the conference for the complex today called in sick. Now I have to be there to take his place. The event is about a three hour drive and it's an all day event. So unfortunately, we probably can't do dinner tonight. I'm sorry. I was looking forward to it but I'll make it to ya'll when I get back.
Krissy: Oh, it's okay. I understand. The girls will too. I hope you have fun at the conference though. It'll be a good experience.
Keith: I hope so. You sound tired. You okay?
Krissy: Tired isn't the word. I don't even want to talk about it honestly, it won't change anything. I just need a break.
Keith: I'm giving you two weeks off. I'll pick up the girls from school and take them to the complex for the rest of the week. Drop them back at home too. You just need alone time.
Krissy: Even though that sounds amazing, I need the money so having time off is not ideal right now. I'm trying to move into a new place as soon as possible so I can get the girls their own room and more space.
Keith: I'm not taking no for an answer. It'll be paid time off. I promise you, everything is going to work out. I obviously can't take the girls to the complex today but starting tomorrow, I will. I'm about to hit the road so have an amazing day. Keep your head up. It'll be a good week and it'll go by quick. Tell the girls I said have a good day. I'll call you on the way back home.
Krissy: Okay baby. Thank you. Be safe.