Chapter Eleven: Coffee Shop Meet & Greet

~

~

               "We need to talk." His gruff voice responded. My heart began to race. I knew exactly who I was talking to. Giovanni Milani, the country's most ruthless man who runs the Italian Mafia. The only reason I know who this man is, is because he's not only ordered a few paintings from me unknowingly but he's also the owner of the private school that my girls go to. When I found out it was Giovanni Milani texting me, I figured he found out who I really was and wanted to order another painting from me but I was wrong—very wrong.

"Regarding what, if I may ask?" I spoke politely. I did not want to be on this man's bad side—that would mean death. Everybody knew that.

"About your girls; Bellamy and Bay." That's when my heart dropped to my stomach. What could he possibly want with my girls? That's when I began to internally panic and my breathing began to pick up.

"U-Um wha-what about them?" I stuttered with fear.

"I- I- I'm their father." He finally sighed out. "I'm their biological father and I would like to be a part of their lives." He explained further as I froze with shock and fear.

I didn't know what to think at that moment. My daughters' father was the don of the Italian Mafia? No, no, no, that can't be possible.

"I don't mean to sound rude but do you have proof? I just need to see it to believe it." I explained as I rubbed the back of my neck, my anxiousness very prevalent.

"I understand. Could you meet me at the coffee shop across the school after you drop the girls off tomorrow morning?" He surprisingly asked me politely. I thought about it for a moment and was gonna say no to everything and no to this whole conversation due to my fear of losing my girls but then I thought about the hard conversation I just had with them tonight and how desperate they were to know if they had a father, let alone have a relationship with him and somehow God must've answered their prayers because now I have a man on my phone claiming to be their father, which is such a crazy coincidence if you ask me.

"Sure, I'll be there." I ultimately decided. I heard a big sigh of relief on the other side of the phone. I'm not sure if I was meant to hear it but I did. 'He must really want to be a part of their lives.' I thought. I'm not gonna lie, it did give me a little peace knowing that he sounded genuine on the phone about wanting to be there for them and eventually a father to them. I mean if he really even is their biological father. We ended up talking for a few more minutes about our arrangement to meet before it was time to end the call.

"Grazie [Thank you]. I really appreciate you hearing me out." He spoke honestly.

"Of course. Well, I'll see you tomorrow." I confirmed.

"See you tomorrow." He responded before I ended the phone call.

I took a breath. I sat against the headboard of my bed unmoving. Everything felt so unreal.