47. Lies and Escapism

Start from the beginning

Another lie.

She was going to spend her Christmas every year at her Grandmother's house till her Grandmother dies and I knew Miriam loved her so much that she wouldn't pray for her death.

I walked over to my desk and when I opened it, I found a letter that was placed neatly under my desk. I already knew it was a letter from my secret admirer who I knew nothing about and I didn't care. I was tired of his messages already.

I stared at the message and I admired the look. It looked like an old love letter which reminded me of the movie Bridgerton

To Lady Danielle Olaniyi from Lord H.B.

Those words were written in the most beautiful cursive I had seen and it made me think that maybe the guy who was sending me this letters was an ugly guy.

Because most times, ugly guys had the most beautiful handwritings.

I tried to open the letter and I found something like an old stamp near the letter and his initials were boldly printed on the stamp.

H.B.

I gently peeled off the stamp and I brought out the letter and it smelt like so natural and had a woody scent. The edges were a bit burnt and the paper was a faded shade of brown.

—You're stronger than you imagine and that's your power. Don't limit yourself to just your thoughts. You can do this my love.

That message must've meant something else but it gave me motivation to do something different today.

I had decided that I was going to go to my house.

When school had closed, I ran towards Amir and begged so I could follow him and go home because my driver wasn't feeling too well and Dami was going to stay in school longer.

He bought my lie and the driver dropped me at the front of my gate. I knocked on the gate and waited for the gate man to open the door but when I heard no response, I opened the gate by myself and entered.

I looked around the house and I couldn't find any domestic workers or any body helping to renovate our house.

Of course, Dami was lying.

I walked into the house and the smell of incense hit me from the door. I never really liked the incense candles and wax but my Dad made it compulsory because he said the scents were used to drive bad spirits away.

I dropped my bag on the cushion and I was about to go into my room when I heard her voice.

She was singing Dansaki by Lara George. The last time I heard her sing that song was when I was little and I had won a Bible Scholars competition, the first time we had an accident while driving.

The song was blasting on full volume from the speakers in our car. I was seated on my mom's laps at the front seat with her while my siblings were seated at the back seat.

Dad had complained to Mom about the music in the car and she refused to reduce the music. He tried to put off the music and Mom was trying to stop him when he swerved—