17.

𝐉𝐮𝐝𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐦
Open Arms - Athena's Anthem
•••

Athena stood on my doorstep, her mascara smudged and tears streaking her face, with her hair a mess. It was the worst I had ever seen her since we met.

Unable to turn her away, I invited her inside, and now she sat on my couch, her eyes pleading as she begged me to take her back. "Can we please just talk about this?" She pleaded.

"Ats, I don't understand why you're doing this. We broke up months ago. Why are you acting like it just happened?" I asked, handing her some napkins to wipe away her tears.

"Sure, take the relationship away, but what do you mean you're not fucking me anymore? That's a little extreme don't you think?" Her words were punctuated by another burst of tears.

I stared at her in disbelief. "Seriously? You can't be serious."

"But I am," she sobbed, her voice breaking.

I struggled to find the right words, stunned by her insistence, her actions.

"You know eventually the day would come when we'd stop. Things were getting too complicated, then you and these Instagram p—"

"Okay, I'll shut up this time. I promise to keep it on the down low," she interrupted, desperation evident in her eyes as she pleaded with me to change my mind.

"It's not just about being quiet," I began, trying to choose my words carefully. "You should see yourself as more than just a hook-up. You can't devalue yourself-

"I don't care! Who needs self respect or self value? Jude I don't care. I need you" she sobbed.

I sighed, "You're a beautiful girl, with your own charm. And that charm deserves to be appreciated by someone who values you for more than just physical intimacy. If we keep going down this path, neither of us will be able to move on, and we both deserve better than that. We have to let go"

Her expression shifted from desperation to frustration. "Jude, you're being so unfair. When the relationship ended, I didn't fight for it because I could see that you didn't want it anymore. But I hoped that if we kept hooking up, you'd change your mind, so no I didn't see this day eventually coming because I thought we would get back together, you're the only one I want, I was waiting for you," she argued.

I shook my head, feeling the weight of the situation bearing down on me. "You can't fuck your way into a man's heart, Athena. It doesn't work like that, at least not for me." I explained gently.

"I wish we could just work our issues out. Why can't we? We both love each other," she pleaded.

I sighed heavily, I looked at her, my heart heavy with the knowledge of what I had to say next. "No," I said softly, meeting her gaze. "You love me."

I could see the hurt and disbelief in her eyes as my words registered with her. She shook her head, refusing to accept what I had just said. "You're just saying that to hurt me. You love me, and I know it," she insisted, her voice trembling with emotion.

Denial must've been easier for her but I knew I had to be honest with her, even if it hurt. "I'm not saying this to hurt you," I said gently, reaching out to take her hand in mine. "But the truth is, what we had was never love, at least not in the way you think. I don't think you love me, you love the idea of me and and what I can provide for you."