|35| Playing stepmom

Start from the beginning

"Do you love me?"

"Yes." I blurt easily but begrudgingly, arms folded across my chest.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes!"

"Then what the fuck, you're the one who told me to do this?"

I swipe my hands down my face. "I don't know what I want to do."

Chris exhales deeply. "This isn't easy for you. I know what I want, but I can't force you to play stepmom."

"What are you saying?" I ask Chris with my eyebrows furrowed.

He shrugs. "Let's just go in here and meet the kid. We can talk about this later."

Chris turns and ascends the stairs but I stand at the bottom of them, crying as I debate if I am ready for this or not.

I weep into my hands and try hard to pull myself together but I just can't.

"Go without me." I shudder.

Chris stops his hand from knocking on the door. He stomps down to me and sighs.

"This isn't something that you'll decide overnight. Why don't you go home and think about it? I promise I'll come home in a few more days - a week. I just wanna at least meet him and then decide." Chris speaks so sincerely.

He presses his lips to my forehead and then lifts my chin before he goes back up the stairs to knock on the black Iron Paris double doors.

"—Thank you, Annette

"—Thank you, Annette. Really." I talk on the phone.

"Don't thank me so much, Morgan, it's my job." Detective Butler speaks through a small chuckle.

"I know, but I ask you for so much." I feel guilty.

"If you didn't, I wouldn't get paid." She makes me laugh.

"Is it weird that I missed you?"

"Normal people would just call and say hello, not ask me to steal a DNA sample."

I giggle, kicking a rock along the road. "Well, I don't think there's anything normal about my life now."

"You and me both, sister. So, how is the big guy holding up? I take it not well."

"Oh, he's practically already saving for the baby's college."

"That excited, hm?"

"It's just that he's always wanted this, you know? This so-called American Dream: boy meets girl, lands a good job, moves into a nice home, marriage and a baby."

"I recall that being your dream?"

"It was..." I falter.

"What happened?"