|35| Playing stepmom

𝙈𝙤𝙧𝙜𝙖𝙣
⊱ ─────────── ⊰

It's been a quiet ride since we left the hotel

It's been a quiet ride since we left the hotel. Our appointment with Rita was interesting to say the least. So much that I didn't know was revealed. I was speechless after hearing what Chris said. I can't imagine how much pain he was in to resort to that. I've selfishly been thinking he didn't even care about me.

So much about him is different now, it's more than his voice. Something clicked, I just don't know if it's on or off now.

I pay the cab diver since Chris has had no money on him (because he left it all behind) and hop out, following Chris.

We're outside of a pretty large estate.

"Marsha lives here?" I ask, staring around at the place.

Chris walks ahead, not dignifying me with a response or even a cold glare.

"Okay, wait!" I yell, catching up to him before he reaches the front door.

Chris clenches his jaw and stares over my head.
"What?" His vocal fry always awakens something in me.

"We haven't talked about what you said in therapy. I-I'm sorry, Chris."

"For what?" He barks.

My eyelashes flicker. "I didn't know how you felt but that's because I didn't know!"

"That makes a lot of sense." He snarls sarcastically, walking away.

I grab him by the arm and force him to listen for a second.
"I didn't know how you felt because you left me and didn't call, of course I assumed you wanted nothing to do with me."

"Everything I've done for the past three years is for you. That wouldn't stop for anything, no matter how far I am or how long I'm gone, Morgan."

I nod my head, understanding. "I know."

"No you don't because you came here and took me back but you're torturing me with the hot and cold treatment. If you still want me, I don't want to be in fucking trouble for some shit I did when I wasn't in my right mind."

"I-I'm sorry."

"Stop saying that."

"Well I am. Chris, you— you tried to kill yourself." I mutter quietly, looking down at our feet.

"I don't want to talk about that ever again, alright?"

Looking up at me with teary eyes, I say, "You need help, Chris."

"I don't need anything but to go in here and see my son."

Posture giving up, I slouch and my lips form a frown. "Maybe I was trying too hard to be here for you, Chris. I-I don't know if I can do this."