|5| Upstanding neighbors

𝘾𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙨
﹥━━━━━━━━━━﹤

I've never done anything like this before, I've kind of just sprung into this role. I'm driven by the gratification I will feel once hundreds of people tell me how great my work is - that will make this all worth while. Mostly, I can't wait for Morgan to settle into our new home. This whole build has been for her.

"Need a hand, Chris?" Asks Calvin. He's flexing his sweaty muscles in the cut-out tank, lugging some bags of mulch.

"Oh, nah," I stammer, squinting under the midday sunlight. "I'm just—"

"Taking it all in?" Elijah's voice comes out of no where, so does his gloved hand on my shoulder.

I laugh under my breath. "Exactly."

We stand back for a moment to ogle the structure.

I can't believe I made this, I think in my head

I can't believe I made this, I think in my head. And I can't believe they brought it to life.

My chest puffs with an inhale then a deep exhale.

Nia's voice barking orders breaks me away from my line of thinking.

She's been running around like a mad woman, trying to get everything in order for the open house.
The idea came to the both of us as a joke, kind of: to show off this house and gain traction for myself as an architect and for the company, demonstrating a new style that will be available for the public to purchase.

I'm not some revolutionary architect, but the house I designed is different than the typical modern farmhouses that Tennesseans usually respond to. I've done my research. Trends come and go, though. Who's to say in a few years, Adobe homes won't be all the rage?

"Boys, get your asses to work, we still have a lot to do." Nia's tongue is as sharp as her pink and green outfit. You can normally see her sporting the colors of her college sorority that she's still a member of. She's proud, is what I'm getting at, and it shows in everything she does.

"Yes ma'am." Calvin talks with his head down, stomping off to the flower bed with the mulch.

I laugh at the cold stare that goes entirely over Elijah's head. He's on my right, smacking on some gum in my ear.

"A-hem." Nia gains her other son's attention. "That means you too, boy."

He flails his dark-skinned arms. "Why I gotta go do some' and Chris just standing here?"