|24| Pinky promise

𝘾𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙨
﹥━━━━━━━━━━﹤

I got a text from Mom almost half an hour ago saying her and dad would be home soon. She told me they had some "important appointments" to make it to and that we could use the spare key to go inside and wait for them.

The key was hidden inside of the pillow on the porch swing. If only I knew that the first time we stopped here, I wouldn't have had to kill time with AJ's dumb ass. Ick, I'm cringing just remembering him and Madison kiss. Yuck.

"I love coming here and seeing all of your baby pictures." Morgan makes fun once we're settled inside, looking around the living room at the family portraits.

I hate my mom for documenting every sense of my life growing up. Not only that, but plastering my face all over the house.

"The mohawk gets me every time." Morgan is hysterical.

I keep a straight face, going right to the fridge.

"Damn," I complain out loud, "what, they don't eat here anymore? Shit's empty."

"Chris, you just ate." Morgan nags.

I slam the door shut and then fall onto the couch beside Morgan, turning on the tv.

"Why are there two tv's?" she laughs, pointing out the Roku on the left.

I shrug.

"And two radios, two blenders..." she goes on to make a list of observations.

She's right, I suddenly notice pairs of appliances and so on.

"Maybe they're moving?" my fiancé thinks.

I shake my head. "They would've told me."

"It could just be a thought and they're waiting to tell you?" she bores me with her optimism.

I have another look around now that I'm suspicious, and realize all of their wedding photos, all of the throwbacks of them in their twenties, and any photo with just them two, are gone.

Turning to scope the family room, I notice a box that says "Mary's things - to: storage." In it, their wedding cake topper, an old album titled 'M&C,' and more memorabilia.

"Okay," Morgan stands. "stop snooping before you find something you don't want to."

Keys jingle in the lock and I stand there, waiting for an explanation from whoever walks in first - my mother or father.

"Oh, Chris, hi!" Mary exclaims. She puts on a wide smile and places her keys onto the hook carefully.

"I wish I knew you two were coming before an hour ago, I would've tidied up." she laughs nervously, frantically opening all of the blinds and curtains around the kitchen.

"Thought we'd surprise you." I tell her, giving a stiff side hug.

Morgan looks up at me and then walks around my body so she can greet Mary.

They hug for a long time before my mother steps back, scratching her head.

"Uh, y'all hungry?" she asks, preheating the oven before we even answer,

"Where's Dad?" I ask, leaning into the wall.

"He should be on his way, he was right behind me."

I nod once. "I thought you said you went to an appointment together?"

"That's right, we did." she hums, washing her hands at the sink.

I look at Morgan who cuts her eyes to my antsy mother.