Prison Break?

Tension so thick that it could be cut with a knife, lingered in the air as both sides warily stood opposite to one another. Aura still burning brightly, Joana's mind could almost visibly be seen smoking as she tried to analyze the best way to recover both Samuel and Elle without having them come to further harm. 

"You spot any weaknesses yet?" Patricia whispered as she too kept a close eye on the enemy's movements. 

"Nothing as yet," Joana replied, through tightened lips, "I can tell that they'll get rid of the prisoners the moment I make a move or at least that's what I'm getting from their current actions."

"How can you be so certain?" Josh asked softly from Joana's right. 

"Why else would they bring out Samuel if this wasn't there intention," Joana replied, "They're practically screaming it in our faces." 

"So then what should we do?" Patricia asked, perplexed by the situation at hand. 

"Why don't we try talking to them," Joana suggested, turning to Josh, who paled at the mention of her idea. 

"I really don't think that'll end well," Josh said in return, certain that his further involvement would only serve to worsen their predicament. 

"It's at least an idea that won't immediately result in their loss of life," Joana said, maintaining her stance, "At least keep them entertained until I can come up with a better plan."

"I-I'll do my best," Josh caved, immediately drawing the enemy's attention the moment he took a step forward. 

Eyeing his ring, which had begun an endless cycle of vibrations after returning from his conversation with the shadowy entity, Josh stared at the skeletons as he began, "Can you understand me?" 

As soon as he spoke, the mannerisms of the enemy changed almost instantly. 

"I was wondering when you'd step forward," the violet-eyed skeleton spoke, "I've no idea how you managed to retain your youth after all this time, nor does it matter. Perhaps you being here is an act of providence. How poetic it is to have the boy that caused the ruin of our tribe all those decades ago trapped within the very room where it all began."

 "I had no idea that would happen," Josh replied defensively, "Besides, that person bore a strange resemblance to someone I know presently!"

"That person still lives on?" the larger skeleton asked, voice hardening as it spoke. 

"Easy there Ranier," the violet-eyed skeleton soothed, "He may simply be trying to buy time for those behind him."

"And what if he's not Erina?" Ranier questioned, "What if a way to break this curse still exists?" 

"I-" Erina wavered as the thought lingered in her mind, "You!" she began anew, "Why should we trust your words? After all, our last meeting brought about the destruction of our entire clan! Aside from this curse, our leader was captured by that abomination of a man leaving his whereabouts unknown.  Most presume him dead  whilst others, myself included, think that he might be alive somewhere enduring a fate far worse than our own!"

"I know that I'm not exactly someone you'd be willing to put your trust in, but believe me, if the person I know is the same from back then, then we may potentially have the same enemy," Josh replied with a straight face.

"What guarantees can you give us that these two are indeed the same person," Ranier asked skeptically. 

"None," Josh replied truthfully, "However, the resemblance is too uncanny to be a mere coincidence."

"If he's truly the same then surely you should know his name," Erina continued. 

"Wouldn't he have changed it by now?" Josh questioned, somewhat confused by her response.