Awkward Conversation

Josh awoke with a start as what sounded like a soft knock rapped at his door. Taking a few moments to collect his wits, memories of where he currently lay came rushing back all at once like a speeding bullet. With the room's musty scent reaching his nose before the faint light of the lanterns entered his sights, Josh swung his feet off the bed as he sat up slowly. Slouching as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, the soft knocking from a few moments ago, repeated itself, this time a bit louder than before. 

Realizing he didn't imagine the disturbance, he whispered loudly, "Come in!"

Needing no further invitation, the finely polished door swung open widely, revealing Patricia's petite form as she stood just outside the doorway. Unlike her previous appearance, she now wore a frilled sundress as opposed to her earlier attire which Josh had recognized yet smartly avoided pointing out to be her nightwear. Observing her even further, he soon noticed that the bun she'd worn a few hours prior was now left to flow freely onto her shoulders. Still damp from a recent shower, several strands of dark brown hair clung to her neck as she waited patiently for him to speak. 

"Hey," he attempted with a wave. 

"Well aren't you the conversationalist of the year," she said jokingly. 

"That's not my fault," he reasoned, "I just woke up."

"Oh yeah, you're a heavy sleeper alright," Patricia went on, "I've been knocking for a while."

"Sorry," he apologized, "I'm not even sure how or when it happened. I'm almost positive I wasn't tired when I climbed onto the bed."

"Yet here you are," Patricia grinned.

"Here I am," Josh repeated, patting the bed lightly before sliding off the comfortable sheets.

Stretching as he rose, Josh threw another glance at Patricia as he asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Don't tell me your heavenly rest made you lose your memories as well," Patricia said jokingly, as she rolled her eyes at him, "Didn't I say I'd come get you when it was time to eat?"

"Yeah, you did," Josh replied, face visibly contorting in momentary pain as Patricia unknowingly relayed an insensitive remark. 

"Did I say something wrong?" Patricia frowned, noticing the abrupt change. 

"It's nothing," Josh answered, immediately restructuring both his facial expression and his emotions, before continuing, "Should I grab a shower first?"

"I guess you could do that," she replied somewhat sarcastically, "that is, if you're fine with having a cold meal."

"Can't we just microwave it?" Josh questioned, completing the last of his stretching. 

"Unfortunately we can't," Patricia said before going on to explain, "Seeing as though this is an independent space, there's no electricity in here. Joana did try to establish a connection many times with an assortment of wires, technology and artefacts. However, all of her attempts were unsuccessful."

"Then what about-," Josh said, stopping abruptly as Patricia cut in.

"And before you ask," she went on, accurately guessing his next question before he could voice it aloud, "The lanterns are made from Lorian and aren't electricity-based."

Opening then shutting his mouth, Josh lapsed into silence as his question was answered. Unlike his mouth however, his stomach, which had other plans, grumbled loudly, cutting into the momentary silence. 

"Looks like your stomach agrees with me," Patricia grinned even wider as the rumbling repeated itself, "Come on, let's get some food in you before your friend down there complains any further."