Chased

Joana sat quietly, staring off into space as she patiently awaited Cassandra's return. Sitting in a cross-legged position, her right elbow pressed against her thigh, hand extending upward as her chin rested on an open palm. Paying minimal attention to the door where her colleague would soon emerge from, Joana's mind switched to Josh and Patricia as various worries penetrated her thoughts. Although Patricia was more capable than she let on, Joana wasn't exactly certain that her friend would be able to handle Josh's recent behaviour.

'Was it really wise to leave him in Patricia's care?' she questioned inwardly, 'What if he drags her into some sort of trouble?'

Drumming fingers from her free hand nervously onto the chair, several more worried thoughts plagued her as she simultaneously tapped the ground in a mismatched pattern with the tip of her shoe.

"Surely not," she said aloud, answering her own, earlier questions, "The Library is essentially sealed off from the outside world. I've travelled through those dusty lanes multiple times and discovered no dangers so there's no way he could invite any trouble even if he wanted to."

Still unable to shake her anxiousness, Joana unwound her legs, rising as she resorted to mild pacing movements.

"What if they don't get along?" she whispered to herself as her speed increased, "Patricia's barely interacted with anyone but me and Josh doesn't really strike me as a sociable person. Should I go check on them?"

"It's been less than a day and you're already this worried?" Cassandra replied, startling Joana slightly as she silently entered the corridor.

"I'm simply concerned that they might run into some complications," Joana replied.

"What if they don't get along?" Cassandra retorted in a sing-song tone, openly smirking as she repeated Joana's earlier words.

"Josh has proven to have a knack for getting himself into trouble," Joana reasoned, ignoring her teasing, "I'm only concerned that this time will be no different."

"That all there is to it?" Cassandra probed.

"It is, unless there's something I'm missing?" Joana asked, in a confused tone.

"Nothing really," Cassandra answered, "You seem awfully concerned about someone that's been hiding so much from us. Not to mention, we can't be sure if he's told us everything, nor do we have any way of finding out."

"I know, I know," Joana said, wiping her brow as she paused her swift pacing, "I'm aware that the talismans have no effect on him which makes his words a bit hard to trust, however, for some reason, I can't help but continue to place my trust in him."

"Joana, you're not...," Cassandra said trailing off.

"No!" she replied swiftly, "It's nothing like that," Joana quickly clarified, "It's just a feeling I suppose. I'm not sure how else to explain it, but I feel like I can trust him."

"A feeling?" Cassandra asked jokingly, raising an eyebrow, "That's how it starts you know?"

"Knock it off," Joana replied, before continuing, "What did Shaw say?"

"He's okay with lending us a few of the elite soldiers as long as we keep him in the loop," Cassandra answered, attitude sobering, "That said, I recognized a few of them as members of his personal guard, meaning-"

"Meaning," Joana said cutting in, "that they're probably here as spies rather than actual support."

"Precisely," Cassandra agreed, "Though I'm sure we can make use of them in some form or another."

"I'm starting to like the way you think," Joana replied with a thin smile, "Shall we get going?"

"After you," Cassandra said, gesturing down the lit corridor.