A Dangerous Tale

Josh followed Herman wordlessly, ducking under low-hanging leaves of the massive undergrowth as they silently evaded the skeletal patrols. Since their previous, near death experience, the once silent forest had sprung to life. Various skeletons carrying weapons adorned with beautifully carved gemstones frequented the banks of rivers, searching for their prey. The human-sized variants, though similar in size, appeared more menacing than its larger counterpart. As the pair moved silently, pausing several times to avoid detection, they finally managed to break free of the blockade unnoticed. Still fearing the threat of capture, Herman continued onward, tirelessly securing their route. Making their way forward, the two suddenly stared at each other, as the abrupt, deafening roars of a waterfall startled them. Pushing through the dense foliage, the duo quickly followed the unmistakable sounds. As Josh hurriedly parted the thick leaves, a hand yanked roughly at his shirt's collar, pulling him back. At first, he was upset at the sudden action, however, his emotions soon turned to gratitude after realizing what he was saved from. Before them was the source of the water they'd heard, dropping into a massive gorge. 

Josh gulped at his most recent narrow escape as he peered into the seemingly bottomless darkness below. Herman, who was more interested in their location rather than the waterfall, stepped out into the fine mist blanketing the outer edge, looking both ways before returning to Josh's side. 

"It would seem we've finally made it out of this cursed forest," Herman said, breaking the silence. 

Since the earlier incident, neither had spoken as they feared their voices would give away their position. 

"Is it safe to speak?" Josh asked eyeing the way he'd came suspiciously. 

"I doubt anyone will hear us over that," he replied, jerking a thumb at the waterfall. 

"I'm not too sure about that," Josh countered, "I can hear you just fine over the noise and you're not even shouting."

Herman stopped as he pondered Josh's astute observation, "Perhaps it'd be better if we kept our voices low, just in case."

"Agreed," Josh said, still able to hear Herman's words clearly despite his lowered tone, "This place just keeps getting stranger by the day."

"You can say that again," Herman acknowledged. scouting the area, "I say we camp here for a bit before finding a way across."

"Are you sure Cassandra went this way?" Josh asked, confused by his confidence, "What if she was captured by those things?"

"I'm positive," Herman said, fiddling with his own shirt collar, removing a string necklace with an iridescent jewel at its end, "This will steadily grow warmer the closer I am to my target, which is why I know she's not with those skeletal monstrosities."

"Sort of looks like Joana's aura," Josh blurted. 

Herman paused at the comparison, "It was indeed a parting gift from Joana."

"Parting gift?" Josh said swiftly, hoping to change the topic.

"I served in the Resistance's army for over fifteen years," Herman went on, staring at the gem, "After completing my final task, I took an early retirement and settled in Lore. This crystal serves as a reminder of all that I've lost as well as all those I managed to save. "

"Seems like it's extremely important to you," Josh stated, noting Herman's expression. 

"It is," he said placing it around his neck as he hung his pack on a low-lying branch, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

Nodding, he watched silently as Herman strode towards a boulder larger than the one he'd encountered a few days prior. Circling the massive outcrop of rock, he drew his knife and began chipping away at it's stony surface, scratching the all too familiar emblem into its side. As Herman busied himself, Josh followed his companion's actions and hung his own backpack onto a similar branch. Refreshing himself with three small sips of water, he turned his attention to the item they'd managed to acquire through sheer luck. Unwrapping the furls of cloth, Josh closely examined the giant skeleton's broken spear tip as flashbacks of their encounter replayed in his head. Although it had been a couple hours since the incident had transpired, the images vividly retained itself in his mind.  Studying it's serrated edge, the gemstone blade resembled that of a fragile, crystal shard broken off from it's main body. Appearances aside, Josh knew well enough that the destructive capacity of the weapon in his hands was not to be underestimated. Even though the skeletal giant's strength played a major role, no ordinary blade was capable of piercing the tall denizens of the forest with such ease. Even Herman's knife, though wickedly sharp, had struggled to carve a few inches into the tough bark.